• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winch questions and tire pressure.

ole Blue

im looking to mount a winch on the front and back of my truck just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the back im trying to still be able to use my tail gate?

also what would be a good tire pressure for my thirty five twelve five wide wild country mud terrains. for mud bog/hill climbing combo. i have enough air to pump them back up and one spare.

Winch: build a receiver mount for your winch and and a old hitch to th fron of your truck mounted to the frame. Napa has elec. couplers in stock for quick connects.

Tires: What size wheel? I run 15psi in my IROKS and have no probs. Oh wait I have beadlocks, still as long as you don't have 16.5's 15psi is ok just be carefull!

As low as you can. 9 lbs is twice as good as 12 lbs, on my '81 CJ 33x10.50-15 radials. But I only run about 25 filled up on the street. I don't have beadlocks, so teh lowest I have run (YET) is 8, worked better than 9.

I personally stick to around 12-15 p.s.i. w/ my wild country's the softer side wall lets it flex but I've gone lower and run a bead off. I'd rather be stuck with air in all my tires than re-beading a tire on the trail.

As far as the winch???? I like the double reciever idea. You only have to buy one winch at a time,and you can store it somewhere that it won't get dirted or stolen. My old set-up even had a reciever on the tongue of the trailer, so I could use it to load broken rigs. The only problem w/ all that is the damn thing is heavy.

based upon my experience....

im looking to mount a winch on the front and back of my truck just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the back im trying to still be able to use my tail gate?

also what would be a good tire pressure for my thirty five twelve five wide wild country mud terrains. for mud bog/hill climbing combo. i have enough air to pump them back up and one spare.

I had front and rear winches on my CJ, and NEVER used the rear winch to extricate myself once, and I really used that Jeep.

It got occassional use pulling people up behind me, so I was always the guy who got stuck in front of someone without their own winch.

Radial tires work best with 8-15 psi pressure. Below 8, and you'll blow too many beads. Above 15, and you don't flex enough.

Bias tires, work best with 4-10 psi pressure, due the much stronger sidewalls.

Tire pressure depends a little bit on rim width. Narrow rims can run lower pressure. On the rear winch if you get one with seperate solenoid, you should be able to mount it low enough to lower the gate, or put it slightly up behind the rear bezel.