• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winch ropes

86tuning

So, I managed to score an old M8000 winch with a bad wire rope and no fairlead.

I'm thinking about a synthetic rope and a hawse fairlead.

So far, I've found Skye mfg uhmw fairleads for $25.

For rope, I'm torn between 5/16 x 100' and 3/8 x 85' but I'm leaning towards the 3/8 rope. I'd like to get myself a 40' extension just to keep around, along with the requisite tree savers and snatch block.

I already have shackles and stuff.

I'll be mounting this thing on the nose of my 84 toyota pickup. The winch plate will be welded onto the front frame crossmember. I'll tuck the winch behind the stock bumper, even if I have to move the rad back an inch, etc. Front lic plate will hide everything for daily driving.

Questions:

hook or empty thimble? what style hook? safety thimble?
what brand rope?
where to find a good deal?

Thanks for your comments and experience.

I just bought my 3/8ths robe from rockstomper, I just got an empty thimble because I plan on linking the front end, and will just use a d ring to go to the front axle

The only downside to rope is that it is not as tough as cable. I would go with the thicker rope, and carry an extra strap or rope for more length. Rope seems to fray much quicker than cable if used in an improper way.

If you run an empty thimble I would at least carry a hook you can rig up just in case, because you never know.

I personaly do not care for rope, saving a little wieght is not as important as getting my ass off a mountain side when it is below zero and my ass is froze. Been there done that.. no good.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand that synthetics aren't abrasion resistant like wire ropes are. I have a knack for doing stuff the hard way, and since this winch needs a new line anyways....

Hook, or no hook? Plain hook, or safety snap hook?
Rockstomper 3/8 x 85' is about $220
Plain Rockstomper hook is $15
Skye UHMW fairlead, $25

Not bad so far, at $260 all together.

I'd go with a roller fairlead if you use rope. A hawse fairlead will chew that **** up in no time. Just my .02.

I'd go with a roller fairlead if you use rope. A hawse fairlead will chew that **** up in no time. Just my .02.

I would not use a roller fairlead with rope, I have seem the plastic fairleads cut rope, spend the money and get an aluminum fairlead.

Last edited:
Plastic or aluminum for rope, I've used both with no issues.

Rollers over time may develop nicks and burrs from getting run into **** on the trail as they protrude further out from the winch then the hawse style.

The plastic ones are your best bet as any damage to it just gets buffed out when winching the rope over it.

Rollers also weigh a ton in comparison.

All that being said, I don't use any of the options listed above.

Yeah, I understand that synthetics aren't abrasion resistant like wire ropes are. I have a knack for doing stuff the hard way, and since this winch needs a new line anyways....

Hook, or no hook? Plain hook, or safety snap hook?
Rockstomper 3/8 x 85' is about $220
Plain Rockstomper hook is $15
Skye UHMW fairlead, $25

Not bad so far, at $260 all together.

Use the safety snap hook, I wasn't a big fan of them at 1st but love'm now.

The only downside to rope is that it is not as tough as cable.

Oh! Another rope vs. wire debate. I'm in! :rolleyes:

We don't have to convince the poster of this thread to get rope. He already has it.:awesomework:

P.S. You - are - wrong. Rope is stronger and better in EVERY way. :corn:

I use the hook thingy Jackaz uses. And I don't use thimbles. No reason, just preference. And I too have a built in "hawse" like Jackazz......just some tube. Does the trick.:awesomework:

The only downside to rope is that it is not as tough as cable. I would go with the thicker rope, and carry an extra strap or rope for more length. Rope seems to fray much quicker than cable if used in an improper way.

If you run an empty thimble I would at least carry a hook you can rig up just in case, because you never know.

I personaly do not care for rope, saving a little wieght is not as important as getting my ass off a mountain side when it is below zero and my ass is froze. Been there done that.. no good.

I cant remember what my old cable was rated for something like what 9k? but my new rope is rated for 21k me likey, and the fact when your doing a hard pull and something is to break I'm less likely to get my head cut off:awesomework:

Well the 3/8" x 80' of AmSteel Blue is on it's way.
$179 shipped from customsplice on eBay.

Now for the fairlead and a hook. Those big red self-locking hooks are looking pretty attractive to me right now.

Wrong---rope is not as strong in all ways----a falling rock won't break cable--as it will break rope. At least give true facts

A falling rock can also fray one or two or more of the wires causing you to get stabbed and bleed to death when you accidentally slice your hand open handling your wire rope.

AT least with rope you can just tie a knot in it if you don't feel like splicing....may not be a s good but it does work :fawkdancesmiley:

:beer:

A falling rock can also fray one or two or more of the wires causing you to get stabbed and bleed to death when you accidentally slice your hand open handling your wire rope.

AT least with rope you can just tie a knot in it if you don't feel like splicing....may not be a s good but it does work :fawkdancesmiley:

:beer:

But that wasn't my point--I understand it can frey it--and probably wouldn't--but the case in fact it more than likely wouldn't cut it..