• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch trouble shooting

your link implies it's not the correct motor for you application. It's lists only the smaller winches as direct replacement, not the 12K or 15K winches

Well, here's the wierd part. Mine has the part number of 26626 which is on their list (although I think they typo'd and put 226626).

I checked the specs and they are the same as the warn M12000 winch. The funny part is that they all SEEM to have the same motor. 4.6HP 2100 RPM, regardless of the size (at least for the M series winches).

I called WARN and here's what I found out. The M12000 used the 26626 then the 26629 motor. Their newest, latest and greatest included a thermal sensor for a cutoff, but since I don't have that controller package, it would just be a waste. He said however that the motor's themselves are identical.

I questioned him about whether or not the motor off an M8000 would fit the M12000. He said most likely because the bolt patterns and splines are pretty much standard with the similar models. So the funny part is that the variety of winch capabilities are more about the gearing ratios and strength of the housing and gears than the motor itself.

So I called DB Electric back as well. His response was similar, that all the winch motors are either 4.5 or 4.7HP - Warns are 4.6 and 4.8. Warn uses the 4.8HP in the smaller winches which seems kind of wierd.

Anyway, he said the same thing in his southern drawl, "it's all in the gearing."

For the difference in pricing however, I can't see spending $300 for a WARN winch motor vs $71 for the DB Electric winch motor.

Then I changed my mind after searching around a little farther. Bigger IS better, right?

I found this guy in Canada.
http://www.amperagetech.com/id33_m.htm
The funny part is that his supplier is from Illinois so he has to work out a price to drop ship it to me and save all the duty, taxes and exchange issues.

I'm going with the 6HP version.
Go big or Go home!
This is about 3/4" longer than the stock one but I shouldn't have an issue with that the way that my winch is mounted.

So I finalize things on the bigger motor, it came out to be just over $200 with shipping. The guy tell me that they rate the motor a 7hp but the factory rates it at 6hp. I tell him that it's because of the exchange rate between the US and Canada LOL!

Now watch, I'll tear apart the winch housing:corn:

Last time I got buried though, it took 2 guys from BLAST to haul me out (cause my battery was dead and the starter was under water). Two 8000lb winches BOTH with snatch blocks and working hard, to get me to move. I thought for sure that my bumper was coming off:rolleyes:

So let's talk wiring

So, while I'm waiting for the winch motor to show up, I thought I'd review some wiring.
This 7hp winch motor will obviously have the potential to pull more signficantly more amperage than the 4.6hp motor that was in there. Warn's specs show that their stock motor can pull up to 440 amps. The Oddysey battery that I'm connected to is rated at 880CCA. My concern really is reserve capapcity. Should I run a lead to both of my batteries to double the reserve capacity? I was going to use one battery for the front winch, the other as the starting and running battery and the rear battery for the rear winch and the air compressor. I'm thinking that the extra reserve capacity would help under long hard pull conditions but not sure if this is the correct way to wire it.

you could run two battery's in parrel which would give you the total amps. of both battery's added together.

The new motor arrived today. Just finished putting it together. I also pulled apart the winch as i don't think it had been torn apart and lubed, EVER. Lot's of rust, mud and very little grease.

The motor was a little more work than anticipated. It came with a new bearing that of course was pressed on. The instructions to show that you may have to remove a collar depending on the motor that you have. Well, of course I had to remove the collar. I had to get the bearing out of the houseing, pull the bearing off the shaft, then removed the collar. That was the easy part. I decided to put the bearing in the housing and then run the shaft in. Took a while until I can get it in far enough to get the bolts to catch to finish the job.

It's all hooked up now for testing. Just charging a spare battery that I have to make sure everything works before I put in back in the rig for the 10th time (it seems).

The new motor arrived today. Just finished putting it together. I also pulled apart the winch as i don't think it had been torn apart and lubed, EVER. Lot's of rust, mud and very little grease.

The motor was a little more work than anticipated. It came with a new bearing that of course was pressed on. The instructions to show that you may have to remove a collar depending on the motor that you have. Well, of course I had to remove the collar. I had to get the bearing out of the houseing, pull the bearing off the shaft, then removed the collar. That was the easy part. I decided to put the bearing in the housing and then run the shaft in. Took a while until I can get it in far enough to get the bolts to catch to finish the job.

It's all hooked up now for testing. Just charging a spare battery that I have to make sure everything works before I put in back in the rig for the 10th time (it seems).

And you wonder why I go out of my way to avoid the mud :kissmyass:

annnnndddd...... did it go "click", 'fawk!'
or did it go "whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", 'yeeehaaaw!'

First it did the former, but I checked the battery - 10.6 volts. Charged it up for about 30 minutes and then the did the latter!

No more grinding noise either, that was nice!

Not going out THIS weekend. Our club will be at Elbe next weekend - right JAYDOG!

Tomorrow I have to take it in for some work. I can't get any spark. I had it running the other day and it just shut off. Really wierd. No spark, no power to the coil. I can't find a blown fuse anywhere either.

I'm taking it in to John at Auburn Car repair tomorrow so he can check it out and fix it. While it's in, he's going to drop the t-cases so that the rear mail seal on the transmission can be replaced (I won't do that at home, not with the weight of the dual 1 ton t-cases) and fix the stripped threads on the front driveline flange while he's got it down.

I needed to get the winch fixed so that I could get it up on my trailer to take it in to him.

I also ordered a new battery management system. My manual marine switch under the hood wasn't cutting it. I'll now have in cab control of which battery (I have 3 Oddysey batteries) are being used depending upon the situation I'm in. With a big winch up front and the new 7hp motor, a rear winch, large electric air compressor and onboard welder, I tend to be harsh on my electrical system. That'll be in Friday so I'm hoping that John has my rig done so I can take it home Friday and tinker on the weekend.

I put a new rear carrier system on today. I finally tried to put the spare tire on the mount. NO GO, it was too big and hit the rear bumper. So I cut the tire carrier mount off and made a support for a water proof plastic truck box that I was using for my chainsaw and supplies. Got everything welded up, painted, box bolted in and loaded up. I put my chainsaw, fuel, spare parts for the saw and all my recovery gear in the external box where my spare tire was supposed to fit. It even swings out so that the tail gate can drop down and I can put my vinyl cover on without affecting my storage box. I always had my recovery gear inside the rig, which wasn't a big deal when it was just Jackson and I. But when all 5 of us are in there, I'm out of room. Now, it's all taken care of.

I also bought a Stanley fax max stand up tool box that I strapped into the back, nice and tight against my cage. I put all my fluids in the big storage area in the bottom and I'll find places to put the rest of my tools. I typically carried way more than I needed to so it's time to strip down my tool supply. I usually wheel with people that carry their own tools as well, so if I'm short a wrench, someone will have it.

I put my welding gear in a separate box as well but haven't got that tied down yet. My concern was that in case of a flop or roll, stuff would go flying and perhaps someone would get hurt. So I'm working on getting all my gear secured so that can't happen. Enough of just throwing tool boxes in the back and letting them flop around.

Still haven't finished my driver's door, but it's safe and secure, just not done...

Wow, I just hijacked my own thread!:haha:

It seems like a brand new winch now. I hooked up positive cables to both of the front batteries (I'm running three 1500 series Oddysey batteries, two in the front, one in the rear), cleaned and greased the winch and put that new, more powerful motor on it. It SOUNDS and RUNS so much better that I can't believe it's the same winch. It even goes everything I click the switch now:mad: