• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Windrock OHV vs Golden Mtn

heepsterjeepster

Hi fellas, been checking out the site for some time and am looking for some info on both of these parks. Our local club (WV) likes to make on big trip each spring. Always a multiday trip usually Wednesday through Sunday. We usually go to Harlan and have for the past 5yrs, but are looking to try something new. All the rigs in this group are built with pretty equal capabilities (locked f&r,37-39in tires, beadlocks...etc). We have been discussing both of these parks and I was looking for some input from the folks who live and wheel these places often. We aren't mud fans at all and really only want rocks. Looking for terrain similar to Harlan just new to us trails. We usually run most of what Harlan has to offer ( Lions Den, Mason Jar etc) minus the straight out buggy stuff. Hopefully Looking for some recommendations.

Thanks

Nick

I cant speak for Windrock but GMP is one of my favorites :) You can also download cartotracks on your phone and get the map for GMP and it works well

Re:

Wednesday through Sunday? Do both. No question. 2 days at Golden Mountain should be enough if y'all ride all day and part of the night. Then you can hit all the good stuff on the south west side of Windrock in 2 days.

Re:

I second that. I think you can hit all the serious stuff at each park in one day.

FWIW....our group at Windrock can put tire on dirt at 10 am ....hit all the big stuff you'd wanna hit and be back on the trailer by 4pm. On a somewhat leisurely pace.

I guess I should have been more specific on the Wed-Sun part. Usually (at least with the Harlan trip) we leave West Virginia around 6am and then get to the cabins/campground around 12 or 1 on Wed. That usually lets us use the rest of the first day to get a feel for the park and get our bearings. Then wheel hard Friday and Sat then head back home around 8am on Sunday morning. This lets most of us get things put in order before going back to work on Monday. With that said Golden Mtn is still everyone's recommendation?

Thanks
Nick

Re:

Windrock is sorta spread out and ya sorta need a local guy to keep you off gravel and connector trails.

GMP just has trails every where in a much smaller compact area.

Break a knuckle off at GMP? Walk back to truck in a few minutes and get a spare.

Same thing at Windrock. ...prolly an all day recovery.

I really appreciate the info...we were actually leaning towards Windrock but after this I believe we should reconsider and hit Golden Mtn instead.

Thanks again guys.

Nick

you wont go wrong with either one but if your looking for somethin like harlan then its windrock. where harlan has trails like mason jar where you ride/climb/ride/climb so does windrock where golden mtn aint like that at all... its short small trails with rock all the way through an a small park. golden mtn prolly has more to offer if your wantin rocks only. even as big as windrock is its kinda limited to bigger rigs unless you wanna ride round n look at butterflys all day. 15, lil mule, schoolbus, stairsteps, 39, 3, rail trail, and 81a area is it. me n tony run all of what i put except 81a area in bout 7 hours an thats taking our time just like he said

I've never been to windrock but I've been to golden mountain a bunch. It's probably my second favorite place to ride, harlan being number 1. Golden mountain has plenty to offer for 2-3 days of riding, especially if you have a bigger group. Post up when your group is going, there's usually somebody up for wheeling at gmp.

you could def do both. both are my awesome. Windrock if you don't know your way that well can be a long ride between trails but trails are good. Look at the weather. If it rains GMP turns nasty sloppy no traction to be found.

Been to both...love both. Each park has nice facilities. For me the biggest difference is like Tony said a break can cost u half a day if u don't pack tools and parts in your rig as the trail heads can be a long ways from camp.

I'm from Florida and when we hit one park we do both ...they are too close together not too. Either way u go u will have a blast...but my vote is to squeeze both parks in.

if you want just rocks GMP is the better of the two, but there is much more trail riding at windrock. practically no trail riding at GMP, just a small drive to whatever trail you wanna hit

dwa2469 said:
I cant speak for Windrock but GMP is one of my favorites :) You can also download cartotracks on your phone and get the map for GMP and it works well

Thanks for the plug.

You can use our map of GMP on your smartphone.
As long as you download it before loosing signal, you won't need signal in order to know where you are in the park using just the GPS in your smartphone.

https://www.cartotracks.com/maps