• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wiring a fuse panel to be keyed on

Nuzzy

In the essence of cleanliness and order, it's time to wire in an accessory fuse panel. Thinking both immediate needs and down the road (keeping in mind I still want to rip out all factory wiring at some point), I can see needing fused switches for:

-Headlights (aftermarket)
-Rock lights
-Radio
-Propane solenoid
-Elec fan kill switch
-Cig lighter/power outlet
-Extra cooling fan
-???

Well I have this guy (the 12 fuse version) on it's way. May not be the best option out there, but it seemed simple enough and should be easy to mount on the inside of the firewall.

70165_tab.jpg

It seems like I'd benefit from having most of these items keyed on, to avoid leaving things on by mistake and draining my battery (apart from possibly the elec fan switch and cig lighter...).

So, if my reading online and newly increasing understanding of solenoids has me thinking correctly, this would be a job for a solenoid...? I'm thinking I need a larger gauge power cable from batt/junction to a solenoid and then other side of solenoid to post on fuse panel. Then the smaller solenoid post would go to a keyed on hot wire which when turned on would open the current flow and would kill it when the key is turned off.

Question is, how big of a solenoid do I need? The description of the fuse block says each branch up to 30 amps with 160 amp max total. Does this mean I have to find a solenoid rated for 160 amps to be covered? Most of the ones I've seen seem to top out at 85 continuous. My guess is I just don't understand some aspect of this...

I hate bthose fuse panels and refure to use them--ripped robins off and hucked it..

For some amp reading go and read robins thread (just posted some info)

Also thinking down the road about relays which I'd need for lights, extra fans, etc. I think I understand that they're just like lighter duty solenoids and are wired similarly.

So lets take rock lights for instance. This is how I'm thinking they'd be wired, assuming just a standard normally open 12V 4 post relay.

relayforlightsMedium.jpg

How close am I?

I hate bthose fuse panels and refure to use them--ripped robins off and hucked it..

For some amp reading go and read robins thread (just posted some info)

Really...? Hmmm. I spent time rereading that thread this morning and saw the fuse panel type you used but couldn't seem to find it on Del City :scratchhead: Looks like you use some sort of modular 4 fuse units that can be connecting together...

What is it you hate about that style? Now I'm curious... :cool:

I'll go check what you just added to it.

I'd be curious to see why you didn't like those as well. I don't have that exact one, but one sort of similar that I bought from a boat shop.

The one 2slow4you posted looks pretty cool too, and a little more weather proof.

Matt, how did you wire yours in? Did you go the keyed on solenoid route or did you just hard wire for always on?

Matt, how did you wire yours in? Did you go the keyed on solenoid route or did you just hard wire for always on?

Just hard wired always on. I remember to shut things off... and on top of that, I have a master battery switch for if the rig will be sitting for a while.