• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

worth it?

jeepchipjones

I know a guy who needs some advice on whether or not to buy this tow rig, and I dont know that much about it but I know a lot of you guys know more than I do. So, give me your advice:

73990774.jpg

3 days ago I had no intention of looking at a new tow rig. However, my wife actually spotted this one (rather one that looks like this one) and requested that we stop and look at it so that we could dream of our future tow rig. We assumed it (GMC 4500)was going to run around $30,000. We were going to smile at the salesman and tell him that we were just dreaming. However, We liked what we saw and I popped the question - "watcha askin?" His ressponse was "starting price is $19,500. :eek: - you have my attention. We ended up driving the truck - even my wife.

Here's the deal:

1. The truck has 240,000 miles. The Duramax diesel engine only has 60,000 as replaced under GM warranty a year ago. The only part used from the old motor was the fan. New turbo and intercooler. I saw the paperwork and spoke with the previous owner.

2. The Allison trans is original with all service records.

3. There is a slight leak in the power steering box

Here are the options:

• Gooseneck and bumper pull hitches
  • LED light all the way around
  • Jake brake
  • Power Windows/locks
  • Remote entry
  • cold air
  • Perfect paint job and new tires
  • air ride front captain chairs/bench rear with plenty of room for 4 to sit comfortably
  • Side storage boxes

Here is the deal as we left it this afternoon: $17,000 with my 1992 Chevy Duelly. I was going to shake hands at $16,000 but we have not quite made it there.

What do you all think about this? Any Duramax or Allison issues that you have had personally? I have done extensive research and cannot find too much bad about the Drivetrain setup. I think the motor is the first generation Duramax that had a little different injector position in the head and less emmission controls.

Tag is $200 a year and insurance is ~$400 a year for full coverage.

I am scared of hopping into a big truck like this and eliminating my one ton that is easier to maneuver around town on a daily basis. I will probably end up having to buy a small truck for daily use. I envision this truck attached to my 40' trailer headed out west with about 3 rigs loaded.

I took pride in my 92 Chevy of the fact that it was paid for and the tag and insurance only cost me about $200 a year.

I am not sure what to do. I got to let the fellow know something in the morning (Friday) :-/

BUUUUUUUUUUY IT!!!
I've been looking at the same type truck for years, and have came very close to getting one myself. I have over 240,000 miles on my allison and it works great. The only problems I have had with my allison is some shifting solinoids. Their easy change and not too expensive. I need to have one more changed, but it's in the torgue converter and you have to drop the trans to get to it. My allison has seen very hard miles from day one of my truck and has worked great. I even got it so hot one time that it showed two different warnings for hot.
I don't think you're going to have a problem driving around town. Landscape crews drive trucks like these all the time around my area and they do fine.
I like it.

Brian bought one for his trailer bus. and as a tow rig, had it 6 months and they never could make it have any mpg. He had every custom thing done to it he could and the GMC dealership, the dealership took it back.