• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Would you run these gears?

Would you run these gears on a street driven wheeler?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • bacon, boobs, pork chops...

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

RusM

To me they would be fine as a spares, but I just can't put them back in my truck knowing they're going to fail sooner rather than later. Especially still driving on the street a fair amount, though that might be going down here a but in the future.
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Bolt that caused the issue
IMG_0062.JPG

If it was a 410 it would not bother me but a 529 only has about 1-1.5 of a tooth of contact at any given time.

Running it on the road would make heat. Heat kills gears on the street.

Me personally, I could kill that in no time at all. Especially in a heavy full bodies rig like yours.

But if ya drive like a sally and trailer your rig, maybe it would last with some deburring.

Its on the outer edge of the toe. If the gearset has a correct tooth contact its not going to but barely(and I mean barely) touch the inner edge of that tooth.

The answer is clear Rus. Sell them. :awesomework:

With so many folks willing and ready to run busted up gears, then just list them for sale here.

Anyone in this thread should be happy to buy them at a discounted rate, right? :corn:

With so many folks willing and ready to run busted up gears, then just list them for sale here.

Anyone in this thread should be happy to buy them at a discounted rate, right? :corn:

If they're 5.13 D 60 then yes.:awesomework:

So a decent price on some used 5.29's, $100, $75? Ones that didn't like the taste of ring gear bolts, $50? :redneck:
Isn't putting loc-tite on those goddamned bolts about the first thing you should learn when you set up diffs? I'm getting a little bit more pissed about this, this should've been a $20 fix (leaky ARB) and my truck shouldn't be on jackstands in the driveway right now! :mad:

You should just sell it to me and I will fix it :redneck:

I know it sucks. Get it going so we can wheel some more.

If thats the diff out of moneys old red truck I'm surprised its in that good of shape. It was in my buggy for a couple of years and in sarg's before that.

You should just sell it to me and I will fix it :redneck:

I know it sucks. Get it going so we can wheel some more.
Everything's got it's price!

If thats the diff out of moneys old red truck I'm surprised its in that good of shape. It was in my buggy for a couple of years and in sarg's before that.

Sheeiitt! Me too, I thought it was in just one buggy for a relatively short time before Money got a hold of it.

If it was a 410 it would not bother me but a 529 only has about 1-1.5 of a tooth of contact at any given time.

Running it on the road would make heat. Heat kills gears on the street.

Me personally, I could kill that in no time at all. Especially in a heavy full bodies rig like yours.

But if ya drive like a sally and trailer your rig, maybe it would last with some deburring.

If in doubt replace it,easier to fix it now than on the side of the road or some where else.

no, gears are cheap.. but they may work for awhile

these are :awesomework: or go ahead and run them and have them fail in the middle of nowhere and you get to be "that guy" in your group and get to kick yourself for ruining a perfectly good weekend when you could have avoided just such a disaster by fixing something that you already knew was broke :eeek: Is it really worth the risk :eeek:

Well this failure is a new one on me.

I have tracked the source down to a "hammered" in bearing race.

Dont get me wrong, I like to hammer in races and bearings, but not by beating big dents into the top with a hard steel punch.

When Rus dropped the diff of I rolled it over a few times. Other than the chipped tooth and missing ring gear bolts it looked fine. But it just didnt feel great when ya turned the pinion. It felt OK, but not great. I tore it apart to inspect the guts for any signs of gremlins.

The original builder used a punch and put a few dents in the top lip of the large pinion race. The pinion bearing looked to showing normal smooth wear on the rollers, no pitting or scoring on them. So I wiped the bearing race clean and felt my rag "catch" something on the face of the race.

In the area of the "dents" it pushed out enough metal to make the bearing ride over a couple speed bumps its whole life. It eventually hammered the race till it BROKE. I am going to blame the bad vibration/bump for rattling out the ring gear bolts.

I have never removed a BROKEN race before. New on me.:wtf:

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03192.jpg

DSC03191.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

DSC03188.jpg