• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

XJ stuck in snow with zero power!!!

NotSoPC

So my brother calls me to ask what he needs to look at and fix after arcing his winch on his XJ. He is stuck in the wood in North Idaho in snow and has zero power. Found one fuse that was blown and replaced it but still nothing. He doesn't have much for tools or any test stuff with him (dumbass). Help? Could it be that the starter was cooked? The thing is he has zero lights or anything. its a 96 XJ with the 4.0 and an auto. any help would be great.

Battery connections would be my first suspect. it the winch grounded long enough then the probably fried the battery.

Battery connections would be my first suspect. it the winch grounded long enough then the probably fried the battery.

He was using a screw driver to operate the winch and hit the + and - at the same time. He is going to have to hike out no matter what at this point.

He got it to start. Not sure what the issue was but the dumbass was out alone. Now he is working on getting out of his stuck situation and my Dad is on his way with his CJ5 to make sure he gets out and back to the road.

Well I hope he realizes that snow wheeling by yourself is just plan STUPID. Glad he got it going then and no bad issues.

Snow wheeling by yourself is not stupid. You just have to be prepared (and in shape) to deal with it. I have been snow wheeling since high school (over 20 yrs). If I go by myself I plan on being able to stay a day or two and walk out if need be. I've only had to walk out a few times and it was pretty enjoyable actually. It's a lot easier these days with cell phones. Before being married, I used to camp all the time in Jan and Feb while hunting coyotes. People who say "wheeling by yourself is stupid" must go unprepared and count on others to rescue them. If you're prepared, there's not many places in Wa that you can't walk out of in a day or two.

Last edited:
Snow wheeling by yourself is not stupid. You just have to be prepared (and in shape) to deal with it. I have been snow wheeling since high school (over 20 yrs). If I go by myself I plan on being able to stay a day or two and walk out if need be. I've only had to walk out a few times and it was pretty enjoyable actually. It's a lot easier these days with cell phones. Before being married, I used to camp all the time in Jan and Feb while hunting coyotes. People who say "wheeling by yourself is stupid" must go unprepared and count on others to rescue them. If you're prepared, there's not many places in Wa that you can't walk out of in a day or two.

He was full on retarded for doing it. He was only about a 2 hour walk to a gas station due to the snow adding time. The part that pissed me off later was when I found out he had his two little girls with him (5 and 1). The area he was in was just outside Athol south on 95. He went a few miles up a road and turned up a trail and then got stuck 200ft later. After he got back to my dads place he got his ass chewed real good by my mom.:haha:

I'm not saying your brother was smart. I wouldn't take my kids out on a solo snow wheeling trip. Solo trips can be done but they take a little planning a prep work. I'm glad his kids got out safe.:awesomework:

Sometimes a nice solo run is needed. I agree about being prepared. I always let one of the regular guys I wheel with know where I'm going. I also go prepared to stay or walk out.

I don't like solo runs cause if you flop and cant climb out or call anyone then you are ****ed. not worth it to me. I have kids to come home to. I would much rather hook up with a friend to hit the trails with.

I don't like solo runs cause if you flop and cant climb out or call anyone then you are ****ed. not worth it to me. I have kids to come home to. I would much rather hook up with a friend to hit the trails with.

But this could happen on your way to work too, but you don't have to have a buddy go with you to make that trip :fawkdancesmiley:

this ^^^

But this could happen on your way to work too, but you don't have to have a buddy go with you to make that trip :fawkdancesmiley:
and im not working right now:flipoff:

and im not working right now:flipoff:

Ok, this could not happen to you on the way from the bed to the fridge to the couch. :fawkdancesmiley:

Seriously though, I enjoy going alone sometimes. I know the risks and prepare for it the best I can. I do know I am on my own and would never take my son with me on a trip like that. If I win it, the Darwin award will only be presented to me.

Well for me It's about going out with a group or just a few of my buddies. I've been stuck out in the snow by myself. It is not fun no matter how much you bring.
But if your with another rig it's a blast. Never will I go out snow wheeling by myself again.

M

It's the snow!!!!!!!!!...........you need a winch b**ch.......:fawkdancesmiley:

I have an 8274 with 125' of masterpull rope plus his yanker, and snatch block. I know how to wheel but I think if what I say helps someone from freezing. Because you went out by your F**K'IN self and sh*t did happen.
most of use have been here and all I'm trying to say is be safe.

I have an 8274 with 125' of masterpull rope plus his yanker, and snatch block. I know how to wheel but I think if what I say helps someone from freezing. Because you went out by your F**K'IN self and sh*t did happen.
most of use have been here and all I'm trying to say is be safe.

As with any out of society adventure.... I'm just saying shoveling snow is cold and boring.... Two rigs means you can play tug and pull (consensual of course) all day while staying warm and dry.

Through trial and error I have learned when wheeling alone, it is better to ere on the side of caution. Take it easy, have fun; it's not so much about the hardcore wheeling as it is just being out.