• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ Build...just a little different.

Looks like you got your picture situation figured out. Post some pics!!!!
Looking forward to see how this turns out and what the final weight of the rig is.
Keep up the good work:

Few more...

Attachments

• KIMG0329.JPG
    KIMG0329.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 537
  • KIMG0331.JPG
    KIMG0331.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 471
  • KIMG0332.JPG
    KIMG0332.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 441
  • KIMG0330.JPG
    KIMG0330.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 471
Not going to go with the tube and output clamp mount setup. I pulled the bottom cover off the Atlas and took it over to a friends shop and he is going to use it to draw up a plate that will bolt to the bottom of the case and then extend out 15" on one side and 7" on the other. The plate will be cut out of 1/4" and the extensions will be 2.5" wide and will be welded to a piece of 2" .25 wall DOM that will house bushings and will bolt to tabs on the inside of the frame rails. If anyone is interested in one of these plates, let me know as Luis will be saving the CAD drawing and already stated he would entertain cutting some and selling them if there is an interest.

Thanks Brother, hope all is well with you and the crew. Hope to be dropping this off with you soon for the cage work.

Re: Re: YJ Build...just a little different.

rugger99 said:
Not going to go with the tube and output clamp mount setup. I pulled the bottom cover off the Atlas and took it over to a friends shop and he is going to use it to draw up a plate that will bolt to the bottom of the case and then extend out 15" on one side and 7" on the other. The plate will be cut out of 1/4" and the extensions will be 2.5" wide and will be welded to a piece of 2" .25 wall DOM that will house bushings and will bolt to tabs on the inside of the frame rails. If anyone is interested in one of these plates, let me know as Luis will be saving the CAD drawing and already stated he would entertain cutting some and selling them if there is an interest.
I would put vertical ribs in that plate to help eliminate bending/flex.

Re: Re: YJ Build...just a little different.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I would put vertical ribs in that plate to help eliminate bending/flex.

I have considered running a rib down the long axis of the extensions, basically forming a " T " shape. Is this what you were suggesting or did you have a different idea?

Re: Re: Re: YJ Build...just a little different.

rugger99 said:
I have considered running a rib down the long axis of the extensions, basically forming a " T " shape. Is this what you were suggesting or did you have a different idea?
I was thinking vertical ribs on the outside edges going up. Basically like a C-channel with the atlas sitting down inside the channel.

But yeah same concept. They don't need to be super thick material, but the taller they are, the better. Could also use tube, box, channel for the rib.

Okay, I have been slacking with the updates. Atlas is mounted, subframe is finished and all painted. Driveshafts have been delivered and are mounted, pinion angles are all set, ECM has been relocated under the dash. I will try to post some photo's later as currently the server doesn't want to cooperate.

Photo's....

Attachments

• KIMG0420.JPG
    KIMG0420.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 471
  • KIMG0419.JPG
    KIMG0419.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 463
  • KIMG0390.JPG
    KIMG0390.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 456
  • KIMG0389.JPG
    KIMG0389.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 507
Well there is finally light at the end of the tunnel....it runs. Last weekend I knocked out a bunch of the little things, wired in the rear LED taillights, bleed the steering and brake systems, checked all the bolts, fuel lines, etc... Going to rig up some form of exhaust setup today so I can take it out for a quick spin without sounding like the "white trash express" (as it sits, there is only a few inches of exhaust after the header). I will post some photos later.

Test drive wasn't too bad, couple of minor leaks from a transmission line but it was an easy fix. Definitely going to need a sway bar up front and I need to get the brakes fine tuned. I will also need to talk with Ryan @ accutune about possibly swapping springs.

Attachments

• KIMG1271 (1).JPG
    KIMG1271 (1).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 533
  • KIMG1270.JPG
    KIMG1270.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 512
  • KIMG1269.JPG
    KIMG1269.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 517
  • KIMG1268.JPG
    KIMG1268.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 541
After getting the exhaust welded in this morning, knocking out an oil change and tracking down a couple of leaks, I took it on a longer drive. About 25 miles round trip. For having 38" SX's with no balance and no sway bars, it actually handles decently. I know I mentioned before about getting a sway bar for the front but I will wait until I get a chance to drive it some more, both on and off road. Sadly, it appears the top speed is 60 mph....lol. Still need to do a tuneup and track down a couple of annoying rattles. Also going to try to get it on a scale next week to see what the final weight is.

Did you ever get it weighed? I have a pair of FJ80 axles and am contemplating doing a similar build except with an LV3 all aluminum V6.

It's finally "finished"...for now. Need to go take it on a shakedown run when the weather cools down a little.

Attachments

• KIMG0442.JPG
    KIMG0442.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 267
  • KIMG0509.JPG
    KIMG0509.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 270

Latest posts