• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ Build...just a little different.

Finally got around to getting it weighed today at the local landfill. Not certain if the scales are certified on a regular basis, but I drove onto the scale twice and the weight came back the same.

Did some research on the internet and based on the information I found, my Jeep (1995 YJ, 2.5L, RH30 (904), soft top, no A/C) from the factory should have weighed at 3197 pounds. If you have read through my build you will know that I was trying to keep weight at a minimum. I removed the heater core assembly, all the evap crap, ditched the tailgate, ditched the fenders and hood for a fiberglass hood, trimmed a bunch of sheet metal in the rear, etc.. I have the same drivetrain combo but I added an Atlas II, three link front, 4 link rear, 14" coil overs,38" SX on Allied beadlocks, etc...

Based on the scale reading..... my Jeep weighed in at 3440 pounds. While it's not the target weight I was shooting for, if you do the math you will find I only added 243 pounds. I guess to get to low weight numbers you really need to go with a chassis.

Quick shout out to Ryan @Accutune....Dude, the setup / tune you did on my coilovers is awesome. Took the Jeep on a 50 mile cruise through some of the local back roads that have quite a few sharp corners. Hit all of the corners fairly hard...very little body roll. Currently not running any sway bars. Next big test will be middle of October at the Swamp. Hopefully I will be meeting up with 1TonyJ and Flatland FSJ to see how it does.

Attachments

• KIMG0509.JPG
    KIMG0509.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 252
Cool

Pretty sure your tires and wheels make up for more than the added 243 pounds.
I'd say it's "lighter" than a stock YJ.

Just looked it up, your tires are 82lb each. stock 215/75r15 tires that came on the wrangler are ~25lb each. So there is 228lbs...
Then one of your beadlocks weighs as much as all 4 stock wrangler wheels :cool:

Nice. A 2.3l zuk engine will get you a little more hp, and drop a few lbs. But best bet for engine swap without weight would be a boosted ecotec. I believe there is a 904 bellhousing/adapter out for them also.

Nice. A 2.3l zuk engine will get you a little more hp, and drop a few lbs. But best bet for engine swap without weight would be a boosted ecotec. I believe there is a 904 bellhousing/adapter out for them also.
I will need to do a motor swap down the road. While the 2.5L is a pretty stout motor, it is absolutely gutless.

I vote 2.9L Colorado "Atlas" 4cyl + 4l60E + Shorty adapter Atlas tcase loller.gif

(or a 4.8/5.3/6.0 "LS" v8 if you want to do something that makes better financial sense :stir:)

I vote 2.9L Colorado "Atlas" 4cyl + 4l60E + Shorty adapter Atlas tcase loller.gif

(or a 4.8/5.3/6.0 "LS" v8 if you want to do something that makes better financial sense :stir:)
As nice as it would be to have an LS motor...I don't think my axles would survive very long....thus making it a tad more expensive.

2.0 LTG from the ats/malibu/camaro is the only 4cyl I would swap to. Almost 300 hp stock and capable of dam near 500 with some stuff from ZZP. Quite a few adapters out there, its the go to for the werock buggies and was the go to for sandrail stuff for a loooong time.

Looking forward to checking this thing out, I like the lightweight stuff.

2.0 LTG from the ats/malibu/camaro is the only 4cyl I would swap to. Almost 300 hp stock and capable of dam near 500 with some stuff from ZZP. Quite a few adapters out there, its the go to for the werock buggies and was the go to for sandrail stuff for a loooong time.

Nice.
Look at that stock torque curve (line? plateau?)

z477lJZnjIgWaQkeHsQ-PYXbL1cukajeym-RSmkzhFOeBXrYeQ.jpg

Well... never knew about these motors or the popularity of them. Definitely will do some research on these. I would be happy with a stock motor if it is capable of near 300 numbers.

I found one on craiglist near crestview luckily, scooped it up and have started gathering transmission/tcase stuff. Gonna stab it into my lil truggy on 37s. I remember reading an article about it being the most power per pound of weight from any gm motor, that was 4-5 years ago so the new lt5 stuff may make more.

I found one on craiglist near crestview luckily, scooped it up and have started gathering transmission/tcase stuff. Gonna stab it into my lil truggy on 37s. I remember reading an article about it being the most power per pound of weight from any gm motor, that was 4-5 years ago so the new lt5 stuff may make more.
What transmissions are compatible with these motors ? I would assume the 4L60E would be doable.

Late to the conversation on motors, but if you are still running the 904 trans, you've got what you need to bolt up with any of the 60° Chevy v6 options. The modern engines from the camaro or impala 3.9l (and others I'm sure) make good power, and they can't be any heavier than your boat anchor 2.5. I think the ecotec motors bolt up with that trans as well if you wanted to stick with a 4cyl.

Currently re-doing the front end... changing from a 3 link to a 4 link, pushing the front axle forward 3 inches and going full hydro with a DE ram. I will get some pics up later today.

Got the truss fitted today along with the landing pads for the bump stops. Truss still has to be plated on the front and backside ...

Attachments

• truss .JPG
    truss .JPG
    170 KB · Views: 160
  • truss 1.JPG
    truss 1.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 146
  • truss 2.JPG
    truss 2.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 147
  • truss 3.JPG
    truss 3.JPG