• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota front axle seals....

OK, so we got the Marlin seals in, and it didn't make it one full trip (long side is the worst), and they are leaking again....any ideas???? I'm kinda stumped here......I know there are quite a few Eliminators being run without leaking....:booo:

OK, so we got the Marlin seals in, and it didn't make it one full trip (long side is the worst), and they are leaking again....any ideas???? I'm kinda stumped here......I know there are quite a few Eliminators being run without leaking....:booo:
Knuckles are not shimed correct so axle is not centered in the opening?

Welp, the housing was replaced originally due to the old one being bent, so bad to the point you could obviously see negative camber at the tires with the naked eye, the housing in there now is as true as you would expect any stock, unabused housing to be (tires now sitting vertical!)...and as for the axle being centered thru the knuckle---I might buy that, except when I pulled the knuckles down and removed the axles, the seals were beat to crap evenly all the way around...likely due to the excess movement caused by u joint axles (as CHOP brought up earlier in this thread)...I guess I need to pull it down and check the marlins out, see if there is any clues as to their failure...

sorry i hope you dont mind if i ask a ? on your thred but i had the same prob on my truck and i ordered the marlin inner axle seals to but have not installed them yet so i want to make sure every thing is done right
so my ? is how do you know if the knuckel is shimed the right way and how do u do that .

you are running the C-clip in the hub on the outer stubb, right?

Yup...the c-clips weren't in there originally (in the old, bent axle housing)because the outers had no grooved machined in them.....so when I replaced the housing, all was put back together as was...the first original seals got damaged, and when we pulled it down, we installed the marlins, along with some axles he bought that had the groove machined in the outers, and had new joints(not to mention they looked newer/nicer quality); at this time we installed some new clips onto the outers....unfortunately, the new marlins leak after one trip to Moab....:mad:

sorry i hope you dont mind if i ask a ? on your thred but i had the same prob on my truck and i ordered the marlin inner axle seals to but have not installed them yet so i want to make sure every thing is done right
so my ? is how do you know if the knuckel is shimed the right way and how do u do that .
No biggie!:awesomework:There's a tool for it, a jig of sorts....are you running birf Eliminators, too??

no i have the bobbys i did have the eliminators on my old 4skinner but i dont think i ever had a prob though i do know that every time i tear the front apart i replaced the seals
thanks and good luck with the fix :beer:

no i have the bobbys i did have the eliminators on my old 4skinner but i dont think i ever had a prob though i do know that every time i tear the front apart i replaced the seals
thanks and good luck with the fix :beer:
No problem....He's about two seconds from going Longs as well...but we will see if we can get this to stop leaking---it didn't with the old, bent housing... Thanks!

a guy told me to slide the shaft in and see if there is a lot of slopp between the seal and the shaft after replacing the seals to eliminate a bent housing

a guy told me to slide the shaft in and see if there is a lot of slopp between the seal and the shaft after replacing the seals to eliminate a bent housing

Most likely the next time it gets pulled down, it will be in favor of some Longs...But thanks!!!

Hey Jess, Odie's gonna be up around noonish, want me to call ya when he calls me, or are you already meeting him? I only have one spare spindle, so...