• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota pitman arm question

Grommit327

Just tearing down the front of my truck and noticed that the pitman arm is super loose on the splines. It is the billet reduced drop one from Sky. Anybody else have this problem...normally those things are on there super tight. Trying to decide if I should call them up and bitch or if it's just a wear and tear kinda thing and just order a new one

Wasn't tight enough to begin with when installed...order a new one.
Yeah it was almost as tight as the factory one and the nut hadn't come loose...that's what I thought had happened at first. I remember having to use the nut to press it in place when I first put it on. Guess I'll just nut up and buy a new one and hope it doesn't happen again. Figured with the hydro assist it should take alot of the strain off of the pitman arm and shaft

How do the splines look on the sector shaft and the pitman? Thats really odd. The only time I have seen that is when it came loose. Have you tried to tighten it down since there is a taper the farther it goes up it should tighten up.

How do the splines look on the sector shaft and the pitman? Thats really odd. The only time I have seen that is when it came loose. Have you tried to tighten it down since there is a taper the farther it goes up it should tighten up.
splines look decent enough both internal and external. I tried tightening the nut but after half a turn it bottomed out on the threads. I am going to grab a flat washer and throw it on to see but I think there is too much slop for the taper to take up. I need to grab my spare output shaft and see how it fits on that. It's like the pitman arm expanded or something

Ran out of threads--ok that thing is stretched out joe--get another....
Yeah dammit why did you have to confirm what I was thinking LOL. Wonder why they don't harden those a bit to keep them from stretching out...especially at $140 a pop. Would have figured the hydro assist would have taken some of the strain off of it. Trying to get the truck in shape to make the drive up for the cleanup

Thoughts:rolleyes:

To big of tires for the part. remember their made for what a 27" tire.

The hydro may be whats causing the problem. When the tire gets stuck agaings something the normal PS box would stop pushing at some point as a design to save parts from being over stressed. The Hydro allows way more force to be applied to all of the moving parts then they were designed to take.

Still kinda wierd that it would do that if it was tightend properly when installed:eeek:

I have gotten an arm from Skye, and when the taper was drilled for the Chev TRE, they drilled too deep, and the tie rod wouldn't move when tightened!:mad: I realize this is the opposite end, but maybe the box end on yours got drilled too deep before the splining process was done??? Just a thought...

Thoughts:rolleyes:

To big of tires for the part. remember their made for what a 27" tire.

The hydro may be whats causing the problem. When the tire gets stuck agaings something the normal PS box would stop pushing at some point as a design to save parts from being over stressed. The Hydro allows way more force to be applied to all of the moving parts then they were designed to take.

Still kinda wierd that it would do that if it was tightend properly when installed:eeek:
The stock arm was made for an 31" tire...this is a beefy one machined from billet steel from Sky Offroad. Also the way I understand it hydro only pushes on the tie rod side of stuff. So it should protect the pitman and sector shaft since the only thing holding that is you holding onto the steering wheel. And I doubt I held onto the wheel hard enough to egg out the pitman arm

I have gotten an arm from Skye, and when the taper was drilled for the Chev TRE, they drilled too deep, and the tie rod wouldn't move when tightened!:mad: I realize this is the opposite end, but maybe the box end on yours got drilled too deep before the splining process was done??? Just a thought...
I suppose that could have been a problem. I can't remember how far up the splines the arm went when i intially installed it. Regardless though it was super tight so it must have stretched and I have had the hydro assist on there from the beginning

splines look decent enough both internal and external. I tried tightening the nut but after half a turn it bottomed out on the threads. I am going to grab a flat washer and throw it on to see but I think there is too much slop for the taper to take up. I need to grab my spare output shaft and see how it fits on that. It's like the pitman arm expanded or something
there should have been a washer already. a somewhat thick one. without it u get
Wasn't tight enough to begin with when installed...order a new one.
which is most likely the case.

you said u pulled it on with the nut. whatever you used..probably didnt get it tight enough, especially without the washer

there should have been a washer already. a somewhat thick one. without it u get

which is most likely the case.

you said u pulled it on with the nut. whatever you used..probably didnt get it tight enough, especially without the washer
Nope it had the lock washer on it when installed. And I torqued it on with a breaker bar so I am pretty sure it was tight enough. In fact the lock washer was still pressed flat when I found that the arm had play in it. Calling Sky in a few minutes and gonna see what they say might have caused it