• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yukon shafts

I have seen Detroit's load unload load again and cause broken joints and stubs. Seen it from a spotters perspective. May not have been your problem but I does happen.

I run Branik clearanced Yukon shafts with Superjoints from East Coast Gear Supply. I banged rev limiter at full lock all week in Moab and they never flinched. I feel it's as good as you'll get without spending 3k on shafts.

Far as warranty, Ramon popped an outer earlier this year at K2. He purchased them about 8 or 9 years ago from a vendor on pirate. He said they replaced it with no hassle.

LightBnDr said:
What trail in Moab are you bangin the rev limiter at full lock ??!?

Area BFE Helldorado, the rear locker started leaking air so I had no choice. Also in the hot tubs and doing front digs practicing for werock.

I'm sure I'll catch hell, but I'm going with Yukon 4340 shafts and a middle of the road joint. I can't make myself spend 7-800 on a pair of u-joints. I'll spend that money on an extra set of shafts to keep on the trailer in case of a mis-hap.

Re:

Like I said earlier...been running them a long time.....greasem....avoid undercuts....no full lock throttle bounces.

Some say Non greasable....some don't. I like the greasable.

sleepsontoilet said:
Chase was reluctant on the subject of Spicers. Have you called him and seen what he can do on Superjoints?
Not yet. It would take quite a bit of a discount to sway me.

tonybolton said:
Like I said earlier...been running them a long time.....greasem....avoid undercuts....no full lock throttle bounces.

Some say Non greasable....some don't. I like the greasable.

I've been running Spicer for a long time with good results. Hell, I've been running the one that broke going on 3 years. Hopefully I'll have the old shaft pulled tomorrow to get a better idea of what happened.

Re:

I hear ya... I have a low pinion 60 so I like to keep my fuse or weak link at the axle U-joints and I really don't want to get into that ring and pinion.

If that mean takin out shafts....so be it.

tonybolton said:
I hear ya... I have a low pinion 60 so I like to keep my fuse or weak link at the axle U-joints and I really don't want to get into that ring and pinion.

If that mean takin out shafts....so be it.
Same here, low pinion 60. This is my first real breakage, and it won't be the last. I've fought pinion angle issues in the past, that's why my WB is 130". I'll be sticking with the axle for the time being. I'm running Reid knuckles and drive flanges also, so I'm kind of committed to it at this point.

RebelRider said:
I'm sure I'll catch hell, but I'm going with Yukon 4340 shafts and a middle of the road joint. I can't make myself spend 7-800 on a pair of u-joints. I'll spend that money on an extra set of shafts to keep on the trailer in case of a mis-hap.

I got me Yukon shafts and super joints from Dave's off-road and don't remember them being that expensive I would call around if I were you.

Hiapo said:
I got me Yukon shafts and super joints from Dave's off-road and don't remember them being that expensive I would call around if I were you.
I haven't quoted a superjoint through anyone just yet, but I have went to various sites and looked at the list prices.
I give my business to Dave whenever possible. I'm not saying anything is wrong with ECGS is bad(they have always returned my emails quickly), but Dave has always treated me right no matter the reason. That goes a long way in my mind.

Onto the breakage. The joint was obviously the cause of everything. The shafts were no way at fault.
bc5a033e9ef78b50064a89d09e5189da.jpg

65f446fd354fc532548f3d59592c9ee7.jpg

1593ad95859312374bcf1a1937a2ad95.jpg

c3704b0e56dd0b392aa51feb3ac967d4.jpg

ad1fa6bf5b24dd8dbb4801c801ef2848.jpg

bf8af26b6e72d929ac6696c1536d29e7.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is even a spicer joint? I have yet to find a spicer that reassembles it.
3132c51b69f5ff04da8a8e8457105db1.jpg

2a987c5c25c343493cbfd45164514595.jpg