• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yukon shafts

RebelRider

I recently broke my front Spicer axle shaft joint on my GM D60. In result, it took out both the inner and outer short side 35 spline axle shafts. Is Yukon the only way to go as far as direct replacement? What is the difference in the standard alloy compared to the 4340? Are they any better than Spicer replacements? It appears the USA Standard shafts are cheap knock-offs. Any alternatives besides RCV's? Specs are 44s/6.0/4.3 Atlas.

Re:

I think it's all hit or miss with that stuff. I was told USA standards were yukon rejects for whatever reason.

I ran USA standard ring and pinions and axles in my old Cherokee....no drama....

Currently running all yukon in front gm d60.....spicer greasable u joints. V8/43s/atlas

If/when that fails....I'll just use yukon superjoints. I can't afford the hit of RCVs.

I'm running USA gears in my LJ, but it's street use only. Im happy with them. How is Yukons warranty reliability? Is it a pain to get anything exchanged?

Detroit. I have no doubt it's the u-joint that caused the whole mess. On and obstacle before the actual failure, I heard a noise like a bolt breaking. Had I stopped and investigated, I may could have saved the shafts. Is there a middle of the road joint that isn't $300+ a pop?

I always maintained the joints also, keeping them greased. I never whiskey throttle the truck, but I guess it was its time.

RebelRider said:
Detroit. I have no doubt it's the u-joint that caused the whole mess. On and obstacle before the actual failure, I heard a noise like a bolt breaking. Had I stopped and investigated, I may could have saved the shafts. Is there a middle of the road joint that isn't $300+ a pop?

BAMMM, there is the problem. Detroits snap when releasing the energy that is loaded. I had that same issue with my Jana76 front end and was destroying RCV's shafts and ball joints($$$$'s), till I swapped to a spool. :dblthumb: Answer, spool but you will lose turning radius.

I see what your saying, but both the noise and failure was with the tires in a dead straight line. I've never had any issue with the Detroit unloading, or making any noise.

RebelRider said:
I see what your saying, but both the noise and failure was with the tires in a dead straight line. I've never had any issue with the Detroit unloading, or making any noise.

Possibly could have already been compromised at that point, but you never know. I never had any noise problems either with mine and loved the Detroit for the turning radius, but it would happen even if I was just cruising around a tight corner. Just my own experience. For the records, I hate the spool for turning radius BUT never broke a shaft after that. thumb.gif

I have since gone to a 14 bolt, but that has to do with my motor/ foot condition. molaugh

I really like my ease of turning with the Detroit, but it is full hydro. I'm going to keep it for now. If it breaks another axle, make sure you give me the "I tried telling you".

I was under the impression spicer joints were decent joints, as I beat on it for quite some time with no ill effect.

RebelRider said:
I really like my ease of turning with the Detroit, but it is full hydro. I'm going to keep it for now. If it breaks another axle, make sure you give me the "I tried telling you".

I was under the impression spicer joints were decent joints, as I beat on it for quite some time with no ill effect.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are not good joints, I think Bubba Bacon runs them in his buggy with Yukons and a Big Block, but I do believe it is spooled. As for the "I tried telling you", I been told that before as well. lol

If you are going to run USA Standard shafts and superjoints, check out rockauto.

I have personally found where their prices have been beat.

twentyfootdaredevil said:
If you are going to run USA Standard shafts and superjoints, check out rockauto.

I have personally found where their prices have been beat.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm still on the fence about what to go with at this point.

Re:

I bought my usa standards on ebay, Cheapest price I could find

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I remember Yukon telling me directly over the phone that USA standard are blem shafts from Yukon and that they carry only a 1yr warranty. You save like $50 bucks. I didn't see the sense in that

Anybody else heard this?

LightBnDr said:
I remember Yukon telling me directly over the phone that USA standard are blem shafts from Yukon and that they carry only a 1yr warranty. You save like $50 bucks. I didn't see the sense in that

Anybody else heard this?
I've read it from other sources. As of now, I'm leaning towards Yukon. Still undecided on the joint.