• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zero turn mowers, What's crap what's good?

pholmann said:
I have not. I've been holding out as long as I could but I don't think I'm going to be able to wait much longer. I've broken the deck belt 4 times this season already with no reason to be found. As bad as I hate it I'm gonna have to do a zero percent interest loan on a mower. Me and the misses have discussed it and she says go for it. I'm still dragging my feet subconsciously though. God I hate to do that. I've been struggling with new vs used for a lot cheaper.

Buy new and don't worry about the mower.

I have a Kubota ZD326 diesel with a 60" deck. It will flat mow. I mow about 5 acres twice a week when the grass is growing. Kubota makes a sold mower, I'd had a couple of them. We also use the same model to mow the middles of Christmas tree fields. They get beat and keep on trucking.

pholmann said:
I have not. I've been holding out as long as I could but I don't think I'm going to be able to wait much longer. I've broken the deck belt 4 times this season already with no reason to be found. As bad as I hate it I'm gonna have to do a zero percent interest loan on a mower. Me and the misses have discussed it and she says go for it. I'm still dragging my feet subconsciously though. God I hate to do that. I've been struggling with new vs used for a lot cheaper.

I have done alot of reading lately just getting info on the new to me ZTR I bought. Anyway, I found many of the parts for all these brands interchange, most everyone offers a GOOD name brand engine already, and all the mowing forums argue which is best like we do about Ford VS Chevy. Point being, it seems in some cases the same manufactures are supplying the mower companies the parts. Not that you want or need my opinion because it's your money, but I would buy a used mower. They all have their "issues" but I have not read anything that said "STAY AWAY TOTAL POS MOWER", and trust me I read alot when I research. Also, what I have gathered online regarding high hours is roughtly 100 hrs equals 100 miles on a car. Meaning, 700HR mower is like a 70,000 mile car. Guys on the mowing forums seem to stay away from mowers over the 2K mark. I am not trying to say that is the truth because after all, it's the internet, just summarizing what I have read over the last couple weeks.
But hey, I'm the guy who has never bought new anything vehicle related and most likely never will for whatever reason. Post some pictures up of whatever you end up getting. thumb.gif

And my original question about PTO engagement was found in the online owners manual.....IMPORTANT: When engaging the PTO, always engage it while the engine is at full throttle.

Maybe because they want to sell more electric clutches. I am going to go with half throttle engagement and see what happens.

rpf500 said:
And my original question about PTO engagement was found in the online owners manual.....IMPORTANT: When engaging the PTO, always engage it while the engine is at full throttle.

Maybe because they want to sell more electric clutches. I am going to go with half throttle engagement and see what happens.

Was mowing with a buddy's Hustler diesel and he told me always engage it at full throttle. It would throw the belt off 90% of the time if not. Of course I proved it to myself the first time I engaged it...

Going to have to start a new thread with a poll "when to engage mower blades" now. :rolf:

2 guys full throttle, 2 guys not.

Maybe the lawn expert Kush can chime in some time.

I highly recomend anyone that is thinking about any kind of lawn equipment, hold out and go to the GIEXPO in Louisville Kentucky!!! The show is usually the end of october, but it is a live show!!! 90% of manufacturers will have demos on site for about what ever you can think of. One of the few things i miss about my job is this show.

pholmann said:
I can't hold out. Shits gonna keep growing. It's gotta be cut. Lol

I understand completely!! With all the rain we have had, its full on Amazon iver night here!

I picked it up today. Mowed the last section I started last time the other broke. It was nearly ready to cut for hay after a week of rain. It never bogged down. I like it so far. I didn't realize how weak my old one was.

Re:

Back to the top. I've read and read and read, don't want to spend much over $4k, so I'm thinking about the Hustler Raptor SD probably in the 54", although I'm also interested in the 60" for $4500. Lowes sells them of course, but fawk the big box stores, local farmers co-op sells them too, which is where I will buy.

I have looked and looked and compared them all and I can't find anything in the $4k range that seems better than the Hustler. This year they come with the Kohler engines over the old Kawasaki engines, but I'm not worried about that. Read plenty literature on both and it seems to be a Ford/Chevy thing.

Toddy, still having good luck out of yer Raptor SD?

Re:

Whatever you get, make sure it says commercial somewhere on it.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Back to the top. I've read and read and read, don't want to spend much over $4k, so I'm thinking about the Hustler Raptor SD probably in the 54", although I'm also interested in the 60" for $4500. Lowes sells them of course, but fawk the big box stores, local farmers co-op sells them too, which is where I will buy.

I have looked and looked and compared them all and I can't find anything in the $4k range that seems better than the Hustler. This year they come with the Kohler engines over the old Kawasaki engines, but I'm not worried about that. Read plenty literature on both and it seems to be a Ford/Chevy thing.

Toddy, still having good luck out of yer Raptor SD?

I'm liking my bobcat so far. Only complaint for me is that I need to put some knobby tires on it. It (like about any zero turn) slides down the hill pretty bad. I live on the side of a hill. It was 5k out the door. Find someone who has a farm tax ID to save the tax money. Mines 61" cut.

Only about 60 hours on mine.

Just a few minor things I don't like. Will not stick on hills at all. Which I kinda can e expect from a light cheaper mower. But just be warned if you have any hills to mow.

Just noticed this this year. Doesn't want to cut very tall stuff. The weeds will get 2' tall this year cause I'm not mowing till it all needs it and with no rain that's not very often. It just seems like it pushes them over and doesn't suck them up into the blades. I know don't let the yard get get that tall but I just don't understand why it won't cut them.

For the money dont think you can beat them. Find a dealer in Chatanooga. Or call Terry's tool and he will meet you and charge no tax.

Re:

I have read others saying it doesnt cut tall grass very good. Most were saying they didn't think the deck was deep enough. Ive got too much to mow now and little time to do it, so its usually pretty tall by the time i get to it. My little john deere 42" riding mower been struggling and taking forever. Im tired of mowing all fawkin day every other saturday.

Re:

I would probably spend a little more on a little bit better one, maybe up to $5500ish if its really gonna be a better one, but most commercial "good" mowers are over $8k new. More than I want to pay for a good one. We have a John Deere and Kubota dealer locally, I am probably gonna stop by both this week and just look at what I can't afford....haha.

It really pisses me off that its gard to find prices on any of them without contacting a dealer. Kinda hard to figure out all the brands and models I can and cannot afford. I know I def want a 54" or bigger and want it to mow good enough to go fast and not leave stragglers or bog the engine.