• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zero turn mowers, What's crap what's good?

Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Yep, kinda anticipating mowing now. Lol. I know its in great shape. He is only getting rid of it to go bigger. He has about 6 acres all flat to mow, and is either going with a 66"-72", or just gonna buy a finishing mower to use with his tractor.

I probably won't mow anything til next weekend, I'll report back with my review.
Unless his tractor has turf tires he will regret using it to mow his lawn. Esp if he ever runs a ztr over it after.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Yep, kinda anticipating mowing now. Lol. I know its in great shape. He is only getting rid of it to go bigger. He has about 6 acres all flat to mow, and is either going with a 66"-72", or just gonna buy a finishing mower to use with his tractor.

I probably won't mow anything til next weekend, I'll report back with my review.

You better get rid of that hat or your little lady may find someone else to mow her yard :****:

Re: Re: Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Unless his tractor has turf tires he will regret using it to mow his lawn. Esp if he ever runs a ztr over it after.
I havent seen his tractor, but im sure he knows that lol.

And hell, I wish she would find somebody else to mow it, save me some time and money lol

Re: Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
I havent seen his tractor, but im sure he knows that lol.

And hell, I wish she would find somebody else to mow it, save me some time and money lol

Kush will cut it for a little bud!

Of course, it may look like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Looked at the Raptor SD yesterday, I will not be buying it or any Raptor SD, most likely. It had nearly 150 hours on it, more than what he told me; the brackets for all 3 anti scalp wheels on front of the deck were bent - poor single-tab design by hustler; plastic side panels on both sides was broke at the rearward bolts where they mount under the seats; fawking farmers co-op he recently had it serviced at put the damn blades on upside down; and it doesn't track straight. You have to pull back on the right bar a decent bit to drive straigth which makes it go slower. I understand you can adjust the linkages, but for so close of a price to what a new one is, it's not worth the money to fawk with it, even if it does have a Kawi engine. I may just save my money and buy the Kubota next mowing season. I really expected the Raptor SD to be a little faster too. It didn't feel much faster than my old John Deere from Lowes.

Re: Re: Zero turn mowers, What's crap what's good?

TacomaJD said:
Looked at the Raptor SD yesterday, I will not be buying it or any Raptor SD, most likely. It had nearly 150 hours on it, more than what he told me; the brackets for all 3 anti scalp wheels on front of the deck were bent - poor single-tab design by hustler; plastic side panels on both sides was broke at the rearward bolts where they mount under the seats; fawking farmers co-op he recently had it serviced at put the damn blades on upside down; and it doesn't track straight. You have to pull back on the right bar a decent bit to drive straigth which makes it go slower. I understand you can adjust the linkages, but for so close of a price to what a new one is, it's not worth the money to fawk with it, even if it does have a Kawi engine. I may just save my money and buy the Kubota next mowing season. I really expected the Raptor SD to be a little faster too. It didn't feel much faster than my old John Deere from Lowes.
It might need adjustment but if one is significantly different than the other, it's likely a trans going out.

I've got an older Ariens unit that is the same way. I only paid $400 for it though.

My dad has an older Hustler commercial machine. It's got ~600hrs on it. He's had to put a new Kawi engine on it but otherwise it's been flawless.

Re: Re: Zero turn mowers, What's crap what's good?

paradisepwoffrd said:
It might need adjustment but if one is significantly different than the other, it's likely a trans going out.

I've got an older Ariens unit that is the same way. I only paid $400 for it though.

My dad has an older Hustler commercial machine. It's got ~600hrs on it. He's had to put a new Kawi engine on it but otherwise it's been flawless.

I would say in about 20 feet, it was already turning to the left at approx 45 degrees from center with both sticks all the way forward. Had to hold the right stick about 2 or 3 inches behind the left stick in order for it to go straight which also slowed it down. I hate backing out on a deal, my only regret is not trying to go look at it sooner so I didn't waste a week of his time. He and I both had been too busy to meet up before yesterday. He also should have described it's condition to me a little better, but then again, he's one of them that doesn't notice all the fine details. He didn't even notice the plastic panels were broke on both sides from them flopping while mowing on rough terrain.

I've been between a raptor and the gravely zt. Same engine and transmissions. Gravely is a stamped deck and hustler is a fabricated. Gravely is $200 cheaper.

I got a call from a gravely sales rep a few days ago. I explained where I was on it all and he continued to say the gravely was a better mower. I asked why. He had two responses. "Gravely is the oldest lawn mower manufacturer in America". And "it's in the build quality". When asked to elaborate he would respond "it's the way it's built". But, couldn't get into any more detail.

He did eventually tell me that you get what you pay for, the more expensive machine will last longer. Which would be the hustler..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I am seriously considering a 54" lawn tractor style John Deere now, like the old X320's. There's a lot of uneven terrain like big ditches andn hills. After driving that Raptor SD, I feel like the lawn tractor style would be more stable in the sketchy spots than the zero turn. Plus you can drank beer on a lawn tractor....kinda hard to do on a ZTR mower lol

Get you a John Deere 1025r and be done . I bought the 1025r to use around my jobs but love to mow with it so I sold my ZT. Couldn't be happier!

Latest posts