• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Competition Winches

ForMud

Anyone run one? Thoughts?
I'm looking to redo the front end of my rig in the near future and have been thinking about replacing my winch ( Warn m-1200 ) with something smaller and lighter.
So I found this https://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_205X_PG.htm .... It's half the weight and is small enough to fit between my frame rails.
The biggest disadvantage I can see is it only has a 50' line...The more think about it, how big a deal is that going to be? Most of the pulls I've had to make was only 20' or less, sometimes it was only a short tug of a foot or two and I was over the rock.... I don't plan on any 120' drags in four foot of mud anymore. If it comes down to it, I'll just carry a rope extension with me if I need to do a longer pull.
Am I missing anything here?

Re:

Nope. Rope extension in a bag and rock out. Chuck has some cool rope with a loop and a ball that went around tube, axle housing and he kept those too. I really am going to have to buy some of those.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

50'-70' is more than enough.
I cut down my m8000 and used the remaining rope as an extension if needed.
51424c9d71f53fb8ede09867e226293c.jpg

I run a narrowed Smittybuilt on my buggy and keep an extension in the tool bag. I never get the extension out. Seems to always be a tree or other rig close by.

Hell I want something close to the race/high speed winches. Mine is slower than **** coming out sideways. The setups those guys have are impressive to say the least.

When I saw the title of the thread I got excited for a second :****:

customcj7 said:
Hell I want something close to the race/high speed winches. Mine is slower than **** coming out sideways. The setups those guys have are impressive to say the least.

Gigglepin, Redwinch, etc... plenty of good options out there.
If budget is an issue, the old 8274 is still the best factory winch in my book thumb.gif

Edit : And it's easy to rebuild/upgrade

Only way I`d run a Comp winch is if they could build in the clicking noise an 8274 makes when its working. Just makes you feel like there`s serious **** happening up there. ;D

Bebop said:
When I saw the title of the thread I got excited for a second :****:

Gigglepin, Redwinch, etc... plenty of good options out there.
If budget is an issue, the old 8274 is still the best factory winch in my book thumb.gif

Edit : And it's easy to rebuild/upgrade

Gigglepin was my first thought when I saw the title. That new gp100 is the end all be all of winch set ups, on the electric side atleast.

I plan on doing their dual motor upgrade with some of the inside goodies for my old 8274

FlatlandFSJ said:
Gigglepin was my first thought when I saw the title. That new gp100 is the end all be all of winch set ups, on the electric side atleast.

It's for sure going to be the best winch you can by for the money. No doubt.

FlatlandFSJ said:
I plan on doing their dual motor upgrade

That's how you break stuff :****:

Re: Re: Competition Winches

customcj7 said:
If you notice in the pic, I upgraded the m8000 motor for one from an xp9500.. Definitely faster. There's other motors you can upgrade from like the 8274-50

Re: Re: Re: Competition Winches

Rokcrler said:
If you notice in the pic, I upgraded the m8000 motor for one from an xp9500.. Definitely faster. There's other motors you can upgrade from like the 8274-50
Along those lines, i have wondered if the winch speed was based on the motor or gearing? Are all the warn motors interchangable?

Re:

Not all are interchangeable if I remember correctly, just so happened that the xp and m series are. Theres also upgrades for the 8274 that only fit 8274

Re: Re: Re: Competition Winches

paradisepwoffrd said:
Along those lines, i have wondered if the winch speed was based on the motor or gearing? Are all the warn motors interchangable?

It depends.

For example, the warn 9.0rc and the warn 9.5xp are rated for similar pulling power (around 9000lbs). But the RC version uses a deeper gearing and a "weaker" motor (4.5hp) versus a higher gearing and a more powerful motor for the XP (6hp). In the end, the RC is painfully slow whereas the XP is awesome. But you can't make a short drum out of the XP because the brake is inside the drum. Which sucks for competition, hence why you don't see them on winch challenges.

There is a serie of replacement motors form the band Bow that are plug an play with Warn winches with better power and internals.

Rokcrler said:
Not all are interchangeable if I remember correctly, just so happened that the xp and m series are. Theres also upgrades for the 8274 that only fit 8274

To the best of my knowledge, they are. I remember fitting a 6hp warn motor to a 8274.

Thing is, there has been many versions of the 8274 and I might have been lucky.

Re:

The brake is inside the the drum on all warn winches except the 8274/8274-50

I have shortened m6000/m8000/ xp9500 successfully. The trick it to reset the brake. Warn states it is only replaceable as a unit but I've been able to rebuild and reinstall successfully.

Re:

Rokcrler said:
The brake is inside the the drum on all warn winches except the 8274/8274-50

I have shortened m6000/m8000/ xp9500 successfully. The trick it to reset the brake. Warn states it is only replaceable as a unit but I've been able to rebuild and reinstall successfully.

Hmmmm... Any "tricks" ? Pics ?

Sorry this is a big derail but I'll take the infos :)