• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Credit Card Processors

L

lowbudgetjunk

Anyone have any luck with a good processor?

I have been through 4 that are/were terrible, one that was decent but wasn't PCI compliant (left fraud liability on me), and I am currently looking for something decent. I process a good bit and have a work cell phone with a square that is a back up in case of power failure.

The company I am looking at was recommended by NFIB, but I am open for suggestions.

We recently shopped Regions (or whatever company they process with) to try to find a better rate than First Data, the company that we've been using for almost a decade. They weren't able to beat First Data's rates and when we told First Data that we were shopping they lowered our rates voluntarily. We ended up staying with them.

If you are a member of any trade association, check with them. We have found our lowest rate that way. Plus call them every year and tell them they are too high and you are going to look around.

I am going to check out First Data. Shift4?

JJ, do y'all mainly do credit transactions? I am 70% Pin Debit and have struggled to keep that to about 7 cents a transaction. Every cent is worth almost 2k so that is my biggest thing I look for.

I use paypal for all of our processing. I just call them up once a year and tell them I am going to switch and they lower my rate ;)

Just called First Data, they are going to do a rate review. Have had good luck with my phone provider in the past doing the same thing but every time I call Direct TV they tell me I have the lowest rate possible? I have let them cut off the Direct TV a couple of times thumb.gif

lowbudgetjunk said:
I am going to check out First Data. Shift4?

JJ, do y'all mainly do credit transactions? I am 70% Pin Debit and have struggled to keep that to about 7 cents a transaction. Every cent is worth almost 2k so that is my biggest thing I look for.

Yeah, we're 100% credit transactions, don't mess with debit.

We just switched to Bank of America's credit card processing group. So for they've been flawless. BOA is actually the largest CC processor in the nation.

As far as debit vs credit, I was recently educated on this. You pay a lower percentage with debit for any transaction that are over $35. If the charge is under $35 run as credit.

Re:

I had my debits at $0.08 a transaction, no matter if it was $5 or $500. I think I may have $0.07 locked in but that is still to be determined tomorrow.

Don't believe anything they tell you. Read the fine print. Depending on fine print either/or can or will be cheaper.

JohnG said:
Really, so much cheaper.

I didn't really know that to be honest. Almost a decade ago when we opened our first store our corporation didn't even have debit as an option, so when we signed up with First Data we just went with the corp. plan and have stayed with it ever since. But probably 70% of our business is plastic and a good % of those transactions are under $35 ea. so if what is said above is true it makes sense why we wouldn't want debit. Most fast food and fast casual restaurants like ours only do credit so I guess its no secret. And like I said earlier, every year or two we shop around, let First Data know that we are, and they always sweeten the deal for us better than anyone we shopped did so there was never a reason to leave. It is a very confusing game though and there is lots of fine print. You almost have to be a lawyer to understand it all.

patooyee said:
I didn't really know that to be honest. Almost a decade ago when we opened our first store our corporation didn't even have debit as an option, so when we signed up with First Data we just went with the corp. plan and have stayed with it ever since. But probably 70% of our business is plastic and a good % of those transactions are under $35 ea. so if what is said above is true it makes sense why we wouldn't want debit. Most fast food and fast casual restaurants like ours only do credit so I guess its no secret. And like I said earlier, every year or two we shop around, let First Data know that we are, and they always sweeten the deal for us better than anyone we shopped did so there was never a reason to leave. It is a very confusing game though and there is lots of fine print. You almost have to be a lawyer to understand it all.

The problem with a restaurant is having to use a pin pad.....unless it is fast food of course

But, even if you have a 1% rate, for every $10 it costs you $0.10. On a pin debit, at $0.08, you would be saving 2 cents. At our current rate, which is just under 2% it almost never pays for me to use credit. I think it has to get down to a 4 dollar transaction, in which we deny the sale/give the add a quarter option. This is why I asked. I have read and reread all of the forms, fine print and I am at the point where I halfway understand it. The problem I am having Is finding the good rates and staying out of long term contracts.

I may have pissed off the person at first data when I went through my list of transactions I was interested in. They said I thought I knew more than I did and just to send over my statements so they could offer me a deal. I did and their rates were good, but for me personally, I need to hit $0.07 on pin debit and I think they are $0.09. That is a great deal for most, but would cost me between $3900 and $4100 for the year. Argh! TransFirst is my last option for today. The lady quoted me $0.07 a transaction on pin debit, but the credit rate for them was a little higher. Doing the math, it seems like the best deal to date, but I really would like a half a point off to make me quit looking.

On a side note, if anyone doesn't mind, post up or PM me your rate. I may be crazy on how hard I am pushing these companies, but it is my money and I spent the time to read up on all of this junk, the least they can do is work with me to get my business.

Sounds to me like you are getting a great deal. However, tell them they are perfect on the debit and if they will shave 1/2 point on the credit, they have a deal. Worse that can happen is for them to say no, which is where you are right now. Mine is a lot higher than you, but my problem is card NOT present 100% of the time.