• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fire Extinguishers

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
After more fires this weekend at RBD. I decided to share some videos on ColdFire, which is what I carry.

I have a 5 pound on both the 38 Special and Solo Buggy. We had the small arasol one at the top of Primos, in case we needed to buy a driver some time to get out.
Cold Fire - extinguishing tire fire in Houston

"Makes your hand fireproof"
Cold Fire Extinguishers Makes Your Hand Fire Proof

Christmas tree fire
Cold Fire fire extinguisher

Local Birmingham new story on ColdFire
Cold Fire Extinguisher for Law Agencies & Fire Depts

Cold Fire - Utah demo - car fire

Comparison against others in race application
Coldfire Vs Others Fire Suppressant Agents

Truck U TV show using it to cool parts to work on
COLD FIRE / MOTORMAX ON TRUCKU

Any vendors carrying them? What's the going rate. I'm not too worried if it's a little pricey, just getting ready to outfit the Jeep.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Any vendors carrying them? What's the going rate. I'm not too worried if it's a little pricey, just getting ready to outfit the Jeep.

The person in the southeast is in Pelham (Birmingham).

http://blaisingcoldfire.com/cold-fire-agent.html

For racing and off road.
http://www.shop.coldfiresoutheast.com/Racing-Off-Road_c5.htm

1322062807657-602430406.jpeg

$14.99

What I have on buggy, except mine is winterized version, I think it was a little extra.
12821588453371034742898.jpeg

$105.00

looks like the link johnG posted is better, either way the cost is a drop in the bucket considering what could happen.

Im in for more fire extinguishers. I think everyone should carry at least 2 for several reasons. One may not work and one may not be big enough to put the flames out.
For me personally I am going with 3. One on each side in drivers and passenger area then one in the back located near the battery and master switch.

I carry 2 on board and have a third hooked up with nozzles in my engine compartment that sits beneath my legs that I can pull the pin and douse with.

I felt terrible about the fire on HP Hill because I had just gone up it about 5 minutes earlier. Had I just hung around a little longer they would have had 2 more extinguishers immediately on hand.

Had kind of an alarming occurrence pulling off my trailer after the ride, too. The rubber lining of a braided stainless transmission cooler line just decided to randomly split and spew trans fluid everywhere. My trans never overheated (I have a gauge.) and the line wasn't rubbing on anything or near a heat source other than the cooler itself. Other than a mess and 10 minutes of labor replacing it there was no other damage. But I use that same line for fuel and for the life of me can't figure out what I did wrong to cause the split. So now I am super paranoid that this is going to happen with a fuel line.

It's definately a good idea to carry more than 1, after I rolled off vnotch everybody was screaming fire, and I jumped out and grabbed my fire extinguisher only to have it not werk :dunno: luckily someone else around had 1 and got it knocked out

Re: Re: Re: Fire Extinguishers

patooyee said:
The rubber lining of a braided stainless transmission cooler line just decided to randomly split and spew trans fluid everywhere. .

Seen it more than once myself

It's been said many times that stainless braided lines eat themselves

Re: Re: Re: Fire Extinguishers

TBItoy said:
Seen it more than once myself

It's been said many times that stainless braided lines eat themselves

What is the better alternative? I HAVE to have field-serviceable ends. I'm not going to go through and replace ALL my braided stainless lines, but this has me paranoid enough to do my fuel lines.

I need to get some good extinguishers for my rig.

What is the opinion on the size(s) that are best to fit and handle when needed?

I can see the smaller ones being good for interior mounting, but not sure how much 1 liter will put out a fire.

I'd like to put smaller up front and a larger one in the back of the jeep.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fire Extinguishers

patooyee said:
What is the better alternative? I HAVE to have field-serviceable ends. I'm not going to go through and replace ALL my braided stainless lines, but this has me paranoid enough to do my fuel lines.

I think most people are running that 250psi push-lock rubber hose (comes in lots of different colors)

Using existing hose ends would be nice but that push-lock stuff is a possibility also. I think I found some nylon-braided stuff that uses my current hose ends. I need to follow up on it tomorrow to confirm. Thank you.

3 extinguishers for right around $400 is a drop in the bucket for we put into these vehicles.

lowbudgetjunk said:
3 extinguishers for right around $400 is a drop in the bucket for we put into these vehicles.

This. It'll hurt like hell right now, but the alternative....

I'll be adding more. I think every rig should have 2 halons at a minimum.

JRowe said:
What's better Halon or Coldfire?

When I researched it, after the Hillbilly Deluxe fire, I thought the ColdFire was better. I like the idea that I can recharge it myself. There are multiple Halon chemical numbers. I don't remember them now, but all Halon is not created equal.

You also need a good mount and keep the release pin greased! As this sport progresses so does the need for better safety!