• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lasik surgery

jeeptj99

I'm thinking about getting Lasik this upcoming yera. I'm 26 and have worn glasses/contacts since i was about 10 and just tired of fooling with that ****. Has anyone on here had it or know someone personally that has? The thought of someone messing with my eyes makes me nervous just thinking about it but still thinking about getting it done. Chattanooga has one of the best eye centers in the country with one of the best eye doctors so i wouldnt have to worry about traveling. Thoughts?

My wife had it done in 2005. No issues at all and she can see perfect now. Said it hurt / was uncomfortable to have done but she is a *****!

Re:

Had it done 20 years ago. Best thing I ever did for my eyes although it's time for a touch up now. The worst part was the clamps they used to hold your eyes open.

X100

Best money you can spend. Had it done in 2003 before heading to Iraq

I see them advertising all kinds of prices, but what does it usually end up costing to get it done?

lasik is for if your eyes aren't "that bad"

I got consulted on it and mine are too bad (-8.5 right eye. -5.75 left)

I would have to get PRK which has a longer recovery time and is extremely painful. my wife had PRK done last year and it pretty much sucked, but she can see fine now, so I guess it was worth it.

just a heads up.

I'm part of the supposedly super-minority that have to have an eye reworked : > /

I had LASIK done last February. I could see as good almost 12 hours as I can now, which is incredible. I'm not sure why my right eye didn't "take", but it's blurry. The left eye is pretty good. I do notice that I have a lot more trouble seeing at night, especially with halos, starbursts, glow, etc.

I wish I could tell you I had the same fantastic results as everyone else, but I'm just not that cool, I guess :-\ However, I would still recommend it. It has been so nice to not wear glasses or gouge my eyes with contacts. Just keep in mind that it MAY not be sunshine and farts :dblthumb:

I had it done 3 years ago now. I was 25. Best thing I've ever done for myself. No more contacts! My wife had it done about 6 months after I did. We both have perfect vision now. The worst part wasn't so much the surgery for me. It was keeping my hands away from my face for 3 months while the lense healed. I have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes.
I wouldn't say the night driving is a bad thing but I am much more sensitive to lights coming way as I was before. The best analogy I can think of is that it seems like people always have their brights on but in reality they don't.

i'm just super paranoid about my eyes. I'm the one using a flap wheel on a grinder and have a full face shield on and safety glasses and just cant get my head around someone shooting it with a damn laser ha.

I had it done in 2005 and am glad I did it. I hated cleaning/changing my contacts all the time so I would end wearing them much longer than I was supposed to. Never had any problems after the surgery except for the halos around lights at night which is pretty common.

Re: Re: lasik surgery

jeeptj99 said:
i'm just super paranoid about my eyes. I'm the one using a flap wheel on a grinder and have a full face shield on and safety glasses and just cant get my head around someone shooting it with a damn laser ha.
Look up prk.

They dissolve your eye covering and reshape it with a wire brush or some ****...

I had Lasik in 2006. My vision before Lasik was 20/40 and 20/50. My vision now is 20/20 and 20/15.

I couldn't read the clock on the wall before the procedure... when I got up, I could.
The whole "you can't drive, can't touch your eyes, can't get them wet, or look at anything bright (had to wear special goggles to sleep and shower, and special sunglasses when out) for 5 or 7 days (or whatever it was) after the procedure" kinda sucked... but is very much worth it now.

My Dad had it a year before me and his reverted back. He's since had another procedure done and is doing well on it right now. My sis had really bad eyes and she had PRK in 2005... I don't know how her vision is, but she doesn't wear glasses anymore... so it can't be that bad.

My eyes are SUPER sensitive... I couldn't use contacts because I couldn't touch my eyes. The clamps they used to hold my eyes open sucked for sure... but it's well worth the $$.

There is still a little halo/glare when driving at night on oncoming cars... but that was explained to me on the front end, and I think it's just part of it.

Re:

My Halos are unnoticeable a decade later

Eric Hagan......I mean Kel Lawrence

I just got a new prescription for glasses and contacts, had glasses since 4th grade, hate them, with a passion. Would love to have corrective surgery, what did it cost you guys?

about 10 years ago for me. EPIC AWESOME!

Now decade later, I'm starting to notice the fade or mys eyes changing and am considering doing it again.

If I remember correct mine was $3,500. Like $1,750 per eye but they offered a cash discount worth like $500. My wife's was $2,400 because insurance helped with it. I don't have vision in my health insurance plan. Just had to dig into the HSA.