• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1 1/2 box tubing roll cage

mudder1912

Okay I know i'm going to get beaton. But a friend has 300' of 1 1/2 box tubing and wants to build a cage out of it. I have tried to talk him out of it but wont listen. Is this a death wish or will it help any? Once again I know it isn't right but i don't want to help build a death wish either.

Last edited:
Its better than no cage(if built "right")...he will be heckled and looked at wherever he goes though. I think if done right it should work for awhile.

What wall thickness? Square tubing is stronger than round tubing for side load all things equal. I built the front clip for my old rig from 1-1/2" square .120 wall. Like round tube square can be built to look like ass or to look good..
The main frame of my buggy is rectangle tube.

Is it .120 wall? Sq. tube will work fine it's just a bitch to shape so if he wants a cage w/ no bends it will work fine just look a little :redneck: If he got the tube free I understand, if he bought it with intentions of building a cage take his welder away quickly.............

It's 120 wall and no it's left over from a job we did. The guy over bought on material and said take whats left if you want it

It's 120 wall and no it's left over from a job we did. The guy over bought on material and said take whats left if you want it

If you have mad fab skill you can shape that square tube any way you want. If you don't have fab skills just sell that stuff and hire someone.

Yes build it and make it look cool build it on the diamond so you will get a little more strength and your impact points will be on an edge and not the flat