• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1/2" drill talk

SkicoFab

what is everyone running for a corded 1/2" drill? i just bought a milwaukee 0234-6. it's a 5.5 amp keyed chuck. anyone prefer keyless chuck over keyed. and 5.5 amp or 8? i know that crash has a milwaukee as seen on the shopcam and bunk has an 8 amp. i would think a 5.5 amp would be better for notching, as an 8 amp would bind up harder when it binds. lets hear your opinions.

id have to look at amp rating but my milwakee will rip your shoulder apart if it grabs and your not being manly with your grip.

i borrowed it from a friend a few years ago and liked it so much i told him to figure out what he wanted in trade as he was NOT GETTING IT BACK EVER.

best 1/2 inch drill ive ever owned.:awesomework:

im old school never tried a keyless chuck???

x2 on the Milwaukee. I don't know the exact model or amperage we've got, but it's definitely an arm wrencher if you're not holding onto it fully and it binds up. I've done everything from simply putting holes in stuff with it all the way to notching with it, to reaming tapered holes for my TRE's. Never had a single problem with it, I would think Hip's sentiment about borrowing it and not giving it back is a good one... it's a great drill.

i figured i was going to get nothing but milwaukee for a response. i went with the old school keyed chuck. model #0234-6. im sure the keyless chuck may be nice, but i just like knowing my shizzy is tight, and the keyless is like $30 more. i have been using my dads 5.5 amp milwaukee and he said he bought it brand new in 1982 and it has never let him down. kind of on the same subject: what does everyone like for holesaws? i like me my morse'

Keyless chucks are worthless unless you are using a hex shaft driver bit. You can't beat the Milwauke 1/2", its the best one.

I have an old aluminum cased 1/2" drill that someone gave to me years ago. The damn thing must be 30 years old. Its says "THOR" on the side of the case and the trigger is like a big lever. You had better be holding the fawk on if this thing binds up. If it does, you release the trigger and wait for the earth to stop spinning. :redneck:

Keyless chucks are worthless unless you are using a hex shaft driver bit. You can't beat the Milwauke 1/2", its the best one.

My Dewalt would beg to differ, push in the spindle lock and you can crank that sucker down TIGHT :flipoff: I have a deep hatred for keyed chucks.

I have an old aluminum cased 1/2" drill that someone gave to me years ago. The damn thing must be 30 years old. Its says "THOR" on the side of the case and the trigger is like a big lever. You had better be holding the fawk on if this thing binds up. If it does, you release the trigger and wait for the earth to stop spinning. :redneck:

I'd say closer to 50 years old, we have one my dad's had since he was a teenager, his dad replaced it then and it was old at the time (Dad is now 51). He has a hand full of stories where the thing actually threw him as a kid.

I've always prefered keyed chuck (maybe because I was using the drill press long before I got around any hand held drill), just simpler for me, and most of the newere keyless ones I've used slip like no other after the drill catches a few times.

i dont know why but i just do not like dewalt. i think its my dads opinion rubbed off on me that it is "home depot" tools. i will stick to milwaukee, makita and bosch. although dewalt does make a couple decent tools that have the competitors beat in that category.

I know the Craftsman drills I've bought over the years have been pretty good, but I always seem to strip the gears out of them eventually. The one I have now I think I actually broke the case on it when the bit grabbed. hasn't worked good since.
Nice timing on this thread, I'll have to replace mine very soon.....

I just bought the milwaukee 8amp with the keyed chuck 1/2. Wanted one that wouldn't bind. I just don't like it breaking a brand new 9/16 drill bit in half. :mad:

And it about tore my shoulders out until I put the handle on it :rolleyes:

I hate Hand drills their OK for wood but steel.. forget it!
I bought a drill press with some low RPMs for steel.
If I had to do steel with a hand drill I'd use a Hole Hogg, they have
a better grip at a right angle as apposed to the straight on type.

We've got the small Dewalt for notching tubes and the big Dewalt for drilling big holes.

The small one works fine for the notcher... hate the keyless chuck though, time to swap in a keyed chuck.

The big Dewalt will rip your arm off if you get in a bind. And for longevity, it's been a grizzly bear, I think i've had it for 2 years or so and have drilled a ton of big holes in thick stuff with it and use it on my boring jig when retubing Toy and 9" axle housings, so it's had plenty of abuse.

Latest posts