• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

100 miles of trail @ Walker Valley

japerry

Recently, Mark Mauren requested ORV users to suggest how many miles of trails should exist within the areas they frequent. I threw out the number of 100 miles for 4x4s, and 150 miles of singletrack/atv.

What do you think? is 100 miles of 4x4 enough for walker? Here are some criteria I'm thinking of when thinking of mileage:

• Variety of trail difficulty
  • Enough trail for a weekend
  • enough trail to discourage unauthorized bypasses/trails
  • enough trail to be able to close sections of trails without backlash
  • system is good enough to impose a user-fee

While 100 miles of trail seems like a lot, it really isn't. with a 20ft corridor, 100 miles of trail is equivalent to ~250 acres. Walker is about 6000 acres. While there are areas that aren't available ( > 40% grade, streams, riparian zones, wetlands, etc), there is still a lot of acreage available.

Once we come up with an idea of what we want, we need to have each and every person emailing DNR requesting this amount. This will help convince the legislature to allocate budget for trail mileage.

I'd suggest users of other areas to come up with their own threads to figure out a good number of mileage they'd like to see in their area.

IIRC Walker is 30 miles now correct?.....100 miles sounds about right but make it all very difficult rating. Pavement pounders can wheel Reiter when it opens in the fall.:;

Man, they must have some good stuff up there in Bellingham:Stoned:

:fawkdancesmiley:

I think its very well possible, with the area's in the higher altitudes (tops or ridges/hills) being the areas easier to manage/maintain. Also, a lot of these area's have better "natural" obsticles.

Even if we couldn't get 100 miles, 30 or even 15 would be better than the 4.5 we have now. But I believe we should push for the most mileage that we can possibley get.

If (future)Walker was a pay to play area, I'd pay.:awesomework:

IIRC Walker is 30 miles now correct?.....100 miles sounds about right but make it all very difficult rating. Pavement pounders can wheel Reiter when it opens in the fall.:;

No, walker has 4 miles of 4x4 trails, and 36 miles of motorcycle trails.

I'm talking about 100 miles of 4x4 trails and 150 miles of motorcycle trails. That'd mean 96 MORE miles of 4x4, and 114 MORE miles of motorcycle trails.

We only have 4.5 miles of 4x4 trail, I believe 30 miles is the total mileage split between 4x4s, single track, and narrow double track.

Edit. Doh! Jakob got to it before Jacob could:fawkdancesmiley:

We only have 4.5 miles of 4x4 trail, I believe 30 miles is the total mileage split between 4x4s, single track, and narrow double track.

Edit. Doh! Jakob got to it before Jacob could:fawkdancesmiley:

Yeah after I thought about it for a minute I knew it was wrong but there is a 30 mile something there.:haha:
At any rate 100 miles of level 5+.:cool:

Even if we couldn't get 100 miles, 30 or even 15 would be better than the 4.5 we have now. But I believe we should push for the most mileage that we can possibley get.

If (future)Walker was a pay to play area, I'd pay.:awesomework:

I'm talking about a budgeting master plan, which would go over the next biennium or two. So we'd start by laying out trails on a map, getting permitting for them, and start one-by-one.

But the big thing is having a master plan, a goal that we can reach for. I don't want to aim for 15 or 30, because that won't solve our problems.

So, how bout some "easy" victorys to try an get this ball rolling. The old section of Upper Mainline that connects to Jeep Cross is one of these. I'm sure you know of a few others Jakob.:;

Once we come up with an idea of what we want, we need to have each and every person emailing DNR requesting this amount. This will help convince the legislature to allocate budget for trail mileage.

I'd suggest users of other areas to come up with their own threads to figure out a good number of mileage they'd like to see in their area.

BZZZZZZZZ WRONG. Emailing DNR doesn't get legislature to do a damn thing. We need to start with the elected officials who can decide to give DNR money to make more trails for us. DNR needs money to do what we want and if we help them get it we will be in a much stronger position to guide them to build what we want.

I think 100 miles would be plenty if all we have now is 4. It would take quite a while to get 100 miles of trails built anyways.

I think 100 miles would be plenty if all we have now is 4. It would take quite a while to get 100 miles of trails built anyways.

How much trail can be done per day? Get enough people together and you could be shocked at the amount of work that can be done when the payoff is alot more trails to wheel:awesomework:

BZZZZZZZZ WRONG. Emailing DNR doesn't get legislature to do a damn thing. We need to start with the elected officials who can decide to give DNR money to make more trails for us. DNR needs money to do what we want and if we help them get it we will be in a much stronger position to guide them to build what we want.

I was under the assumption that those monies can be gotten thru grants?

I was under the assumption that those monies can be gotten thru grants?

They USED to.....

DNR currently is trying to get an "Education" grant and a "Restoration" grant. Without the NOVA funds they are pretty screwed for MOTORIZED grants. There are plenty of avenues to get money for non-motorized stuff.

The money that got the whole deal at Reiter started was from Legislature putting it in their budget and saying "do this" with it. We need the Legislature to put more money towards ORV's. The Commissioner told us that we should look for funding other than NOVA. That means if the money is in their budget then they wont get robbed by State Parks. :D

Not quite. DNR drafts its budget to be submitted to the legislature. While its useful to email our legislators, we need to FIRST make it very clear to DNR that recreation needs to be a top priority.

Once DNR submits a plan for 250 miles of trail for 3 million or so dollars :haha: :haha: :haha: we then spam all of our legislators to draft and pass a bill authorizing it.

They USED to.....

DNR currently is trying to get an "Education" grant and a "Restoration" grant. Without the NOVA funds they are pretty screwed for MOTORIZED grants. There are plenty of avenues to get money for non-motorized stuff.

The money that got the whole deal at Reiter started was from Legislature putting it in their budget and saying "do this" with it. We need the Legislature to put more money towards ORV's. The Commissioner told us that we should look for funding other than NOVA. That means if the money is in their budget then they wont get robbed by State Parks. :D

The first part is totally dead on. However you're missing a part. The legislature didn't pull Reiter funding out of its ass. It took lobbying internally to DNR before they in turn lobbied the legislature for it. So before we goto the legislature, we need to make sure DNR brass knows what we want.

Not if you prefer the Pioneering and adopting method of trail building, that doesnt cost DNR much $$ at all:corn:

I like your goal Jakob, just like Binder said shoot high so we can still end of with a fair amount of trails when all is said and done:awesomework:

Not if you prefer the Pioneering and adopting method of trail building, that doesnt cost DNR much $$ at all:corn:

I like your goal Jakob, just like Binder said shoot high so we can still end of with a fair amount of trails when all is said and done:awesomework:

Does this mean that you are on the "other" side?.......our side. Do you know what I mean?

Does this mean that you are on the "other" side?.......our side. Do you know what I mean?

i think i pick up what your throwing down, and yes:awesomework: Me and Jakob talked for a while about such things as this over the weekend and we are on the same page:awesomework:

Latest posts