• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12v or 24v ?

dodge 12v or 24v ? mods ,# ,costs, lets see them what do you think?:D

Here is exactly what i think. You can polish a turd fuel system and still have it sh!t on ya. 12v all the way.

12 valve is most definitely the cheapest to get to a certain hp out of (which obviously wasn't enough for me). The downfall to the 24 valve is the fuel system. But that CAN be fixed. Just depends on what you're aiming for. Just asking which is better isn't good enough anymore. You need to say what you're wanting out of the truck too. Honestly. I'd love to swap a common rail into my truck and ditch the 12 valve.

12 valve is most definitely the cheapest to get to a certain hp out of (which obviously wasn't enough for me). The downfall to the 24 valve is the fuel system. But that CAN be fixed. Just depends on what you're aiming for. Just asking which is better isn't good enough anymore. You need to say what you're wanting out of the truck too. Honestly. I'd love to swap a common rail into my truck and ditch the 12 valve.

Whatever, I love my 12 valver and yes its better.:kissmybutt: :corn:

I obviously will cast my vote for the 3rd gen CR 24 valver. In a nutshell the(3rd gen) CR 24 valve is quieter, the interior/Truck/body/styling is much nicer, and because its what I got Duh.:D Price is more, but I wouldnt change a thing about the choice I made. BUT, anything with a cummins is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
But why?

What exactly are the benifits of one over the other?

12v= easy power for cheap and reliable.
24v= easy to find.

EDIT: 3rd gen 24v's are a different animal and i will own one some day.

i really like my 12v....been very reliable...part of me wants a later CR truck....i think the power potential is better while still keeping good street manners... vs a 12v or 24 fer that matter...

I'd prefer to have a 96'-98' Manual 12V in my 06' Mega. With the Smarty at stock my previous 96' 12V had the same power as my 06' Mega as tested at DDP dyno. The 12V had better mileage and better smoke.

I went with a 12 valve due to the simple fuel injection system. I did not want to fear fueling issues while towing. I have heared to many stories of the 24 valve fueling system taking a ****. Yes, anything can be fixed, but why buy a truck thay needs thousands of $$$ worth of mods to just make it reliable?

I'd prefer to have a 96'-98' Manual 12V in my 06' Mega. With the Smarty at stock my previous 96' 12V had the same power as my 06' Mega as tested at DDP dyno. The 12V had better mileage and better smoke.

I'll trade ya my engine and tranny for yours!!