• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 Bolt or Dana 80

Im going to start a new build and am trying to decide weather to go with old faithful 14bolt or go w

• 14 Bolt

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Dana 80

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
crosseyed cat said:
not saying this is the way to go but this is what i did. pro rock 80 ,alum hubs, billet spindles ,billet spool (rock solid) rcv 47 shafts 619 lbs . I am running low max 205 with billet covers. i am hopping that my driveshafts are the weak link,spares in the truck.
Very interesting weight on that axle. For the "weight watchers", a DEBRAKED rockell front weighs 682 without any efforts to lighten.

On side note, that is a nice looking axle and knuckles thumb.gif

Fire Freak said:
What kinda stubs are yall running with 47 spline inners
I run matching 47 spline stubs to match the inners. I would think most people would run 47 stubs as well... OR 40 spline inners and matching 40 spline outers. Options for these would be RCV, and Ouverson.

Re: Re: 14 Bolt or Dana 80

drich394 said:
They use dodge outters with drive slugs, ill keep them, found all the hard wear to add the brakes to them too, just waiting to be retubed
agerevub.jpg

From the empty bottle

That is a dana 70 front from the "off highway division" of spicer vs the "regular" vehicles. This means if you can find one of these it will tend to have those nice thicker "c"s, may or may not be centered, thicker tubes, 35 spline throughout , larger bearings, often low gears 6:17 or 7:17 and 1410 yokes...At times they can be had with internal style hubs vs external style.
But, if you are really, really lucky you might find the holy grail of these that not only has those thicker knuckles as pictured above;but, will have BIGGER knuckles that a rockwell shaft will fit into WITHOUT any modification to the knuckle. There out there, just extremely rare! If you find one go buy a lottery ticket while you are at it.

badreligion_13 said:
That is a dana 70 front from the "off highway division" of spicer vs the "regular" vehicles. This means if you can find one of these it will tend to have those nice thicker "c"s, may or may not be centered, thicker tubes, 35 spline throughout , larger bearings, often low gears 6:17 or 7:17 and 1410 yokes...At times they can be had with internal style hubs vs external style.
But, if you are really, really lucky you might find the holy grail of these that not only has those thicker knuckles as pictured above;but, will have BIGGER knuckles that a rockwell shaft will fit into WITHOUT any modification to the knuckle. There out there, just extremely rare! If you find one go buy a lottery ticket while you are at it.
I hope these have the larger bearnign, i have not cracked the cover, but as stated, it does have 6.17 gears, the knuckels looks to be the same as regular 60 but the C as way bigger with interal style bolting drive flanges, these will be hard to break, just hated looseing the pinion guard option as teh 14 offers.

They would be awsome donar axles for a rear engine buggy all centered up, just flip diff over, what exactly did they come in?

traveler said:
not all 70 can have the 87 kit but maybe you can enginer that for us

Negative, he's a lubricate engineer. I heard that he's very involved in the testing stages on the next gen. kY jelly- Painless Anal Rape Lube

Neal3000 said:
Negative, he's a lubricate engineer. I heard that he's very involved in the testing stages on the next gen. kY jelly- Painless Anal Rape Lube
this must be why he is a post whore laughing1

Neal3000 said:

traveler said:
this must be why he is a post whore laughing1

I can probably pull some strings and y'all signed up as test subjects! :flipoff1:

Cole said:
Just remember when you build bullet proof axles, the Atlas becomes the weak link. Might as well make sure you can fit a straight drive case in their also.

^^ this

ALSO, if you decide to build Dana 80s... I'd go ahead and call Ouverson FIRST to get whatever you need on order... otherwise, you'll be sitting and waiting for what seems like FOREVER. I'm speaking from experience, I'm just waiting on them at the moment.

The gears nor the housing broke! The tube itself tore along with the tube the truss was made out of! Shaft was fine and so where the gears!

You gotta truss the heck outs that 14 front. There ain't hardly any housing material left when u bore for 3.5 tube

Latest posts