• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1980 Toyota Pickup 20r**Lots of Pictures*

offroadwheeler

Hey guys im starting this Thread because i just pickedup this truck and Im starting to do some work with it. Im going to be really detailed and have lots of pictures to go with what im talking about!

So heres what I started with :

20r Engine
31" tires
Stock ride hight
Alright body

So far I have done :

Taken the topper off
New Rotors, Brakes, and all new front bearings
Rebuilt the Carburetor....still have some Problems
New Master Brake Cylinder

I have lots of little problems with the Truck and lots of questions Im going to ask.

Attachments

• 1980 my yota.jpg
    1980 my yota.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG00323.jpg
    IMG00323.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG00319.jpg
    IMG00319.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG00317.jpg
    IMG00317.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG00318.jpg
    IMG00318.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 228
The Picture with the carb circled is the part that hold the coolent lines to and it holds a round part that has a spring in the inside, I was'nt so sure how it went back together but i think im close the only problem is that the spring doesnt seem to do anything and the whole parts moves right to left like you can adjust it but I cant get it tight, Plus im not sure where it goes anyways.

The spring does something with the flap that i doubled circled.

Attachments

• IMG00319322.jpg
    IMG00319322.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 234
Thats the choke....your rebuild kit should have had some instructions on how to get the choke to base settings. That would be the first step. When the engine coolant is cold, the choke will be closed and as it warms up, the choke will open up gradually slowing down the idle.

Thats the choke....your rebuild kit should have had some instructions on how to get the choke to base settings. That would be the first step. When the engine coolant is cold, the choke will be closed and as it warms up, the choke will open up gradually slowing down the idle.

X2 and that could be the reason it's still not running right. that choke has to turn off when it warms up or it will run like ****.:awesomework:

It runs fine one min and then sometimes acts like its going to die at like a stop light on idle and i adjested the idle and it ran good for awhile but seemed to change. i dont know if this thing should turn or stay in place, mine moves.

Attachments

• new carb.jpg
    new carb.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 173
oh yeah the 3 little circles are the 3 screws that i have as tight as they will go and it still moves the adjestment around..

does anyone have some kind of picture of what the inside of the spring part should look like with the 2 levers

Last edited:
Is there a gasket between the water choke housing and the base? May be why it won't tighten and stay put...

i guess it doesnt make cents to but the gasket between the housing and the spring part unless coolent goes throught?

There should be a gasket, it's to keep dirt/grime from getting into where the choke spring is...the coolant is contained in the outer portion of the housing (the single bolt on the end holds this...); the gasket also serves as a spacer...of sorts; helps to hold the whole housing in one spot...

There should be a gasket, it's to keep dirt/grime from getting into where the choke spring is...the coolant is contained in the outer portion of the housing (the single bolt on the end holds this...); the gasket also serves as a spacer...of sorts; helps to hold the whole housing in one spot...

Yea thats what i thought, im not sure why mine wont stay in place?