• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1990 f250 starter swich???????

tomcat

i have a 1990 f250 it has a 300 6 ...it key dont work id like to put a push start swich and take the key out....not use it any more...just a push swich..is that all need... and how do i do it?

tomcat said:
i have a 1990 f250 it has a 300 6 ...it key dont work id like to put a push start swich and take the key out....not use it any more...just a push swich..is that all need... and how do i do it?

You would still have to have a switch to turn the vehicles electrical system on. Otherwise your battery would die. Or the tuck wouldn't run at all.

I don't know the specifics on the wiring color code, but a switch for the "on/off" position, and then a pushbutton. Available at any parts store. Mount then where you want and be happy.

more info...the key is broke all it will do is spin in there ...so im trying to see if i can put it on a swich? so i dont need the key anymore or how do i put a new key tumbler in on it?...the tumbler is way broke on this one..

Where are you located at? So, the key just turns all the way around our what? If the key is turning and nothing is happening it's not the key cylinder/tumbler. Are you anywhere near monroe at all? Could take a quick look at it and tell ya what's wrong.

Going off of memory, there are a bunch of little crappy pot metal pieces around the lock cylinder that can break and cause all sorts of problems. Also, it seems like the actual electrical switch is down under the dash, connected with the cylinder by some long rods inside the column.

Assuming nothing is in the way, the cylinder comes out very easily. If you look on the back side of the column right next to where the cylinder goes in, there's a 1/8" dia hole. Put the key in, turn it to the "on/run" position, and push a punch into that hole. The cylinder should slide right out.

If those little pot metal pieces are broken, they can be replaced pretty easily. You should be able to get the parts at the dealership.

The wheel will have to come off, too.... but if you're looking to replace the column switch, I'd pull the wheel off regardless. Probably a good idea to clean all the broken stuff out of there, disable the wheel lock, etc. I had a broken piece of indicator cancel switch fall down into the tilt mechanism one time... totally fawked me.

i live in Reedsport...this is what i did i jumped in the truck to turn the key and and it turned the motor over thin the key just spun naw its stuck on the "on/Run" and cant turn it off the key just spins like nothing grabs just free spins...:mad:

My 90 F250 did that. I bought a replacement lock cylinder at Schuck's for $11 or so, installed it at the store parking lot in under 5 minutes, works fine now.

:pics::corn:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Going off of memory, there are a bunch of little crappy pot metal pieces around the lock cylinder that can break and cause all sorts of problems. Also, it seems like the actual electrical switch is down under the dash, connected with the cylinder by some long rods inside the column.

been there a few times on the DHL E150 E250 vans, yep

Last edited:

Latest posts