• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2000 dodge 3500

mudder1912

i am looking at buying a 2000 dodge 3500 dually diesel. Just wondering if they are any good and what to look for. Everyone I know either has a duramax or power stroke. it has the cummings with a 100 and some thousand don't remember right now the want 8k oh yeah it si 4 wheel drive

have any mods? any gauges? ask the guy if anything has been replaced.. lift pump, injection pump. Anything in the steering. And then the usual stuff.. 8k is REALLY cheap and makes me thing it's throwing some codes and the guy is trying to unload it. Still not bad for the price if you have any kind of mechanical skills and don't mind working on it a little.

Yeah I don't know alot about diesel but my best friend is a diesel mechanic so i will have him check it out first . I figured the price might be a little on the low side

Find someone to borrow a code reader from and check the codes for P0216... that's the death code for the injection pump... so if it has that, use that to your advantage in negotiating.

The pump is not HARD to replace, just expensive at 1200-1400 bucks. Then after that, you should replace parts to prevent more pump damage... it probably has a weak stock lift pump that lets the fuel pressure below 5psi, which is a common cause of injection pump failure.

Good luck.

This last part is bordering on opinion, but I think it's worth mentioning. Don't buy an automatic unless it has been rebuilt *stronger* than a "stock" rebuild, or you plan on having it rebuilt *stronger* than stock. Get a 5 or 6 speed, especially if you're going to tow a lot... or plan on putting some money into the slushbox and torque converter to make it reliable in the long run.

My brother in law and also my neighbor have the Cummins Dodges and I have driven both of them (one is an auto and the other is a stick). I have an 7.3 Powerstroke, and the Cummins (either tranny config.) has "WAY" more bottom end torque then my Ford. They just loose it a bit on the top end where my Ford runs stronger then the Cummins.

Not much info but may help....

2000 Dodge diesel dualies are trouble.

They loose rubber too fast :redneck:

burnin1fq4.jpg