• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re cam/head suggestions?

toyodaaddict

I'm rebuilding a 22re and was wondering what you guys would suggest doing about the head/cam?

1990 22re, EFI
35's/5.29's
w56 5speed, dual cases
It's a trail truck, but gets driven alot. I drive it over Snoqualmie and Chinook pass and back regularly.

I was looking at Engnbldr's RV head, he say's I can NOT run it with a stock cam and recommends his 261 cam. I'm seeing mixed reviews on the 261 with EFI. I know there are a lot of 22re guys here, any suggestions?

I've done a few Engnbldr heads with the 261 cam, and have had zero issues...Key is making sure the timing is correct. Also, make sure your lash adjusters, and rocker shafts are in good condition. If any question buy new lash adjusters...From TOyota...Tod at engnbldr will tell you the same thing.

Delta cams 262 is cheaper than engine builders. Don't expect to feel any power gain :D

I've done a few Engnbldr heads with the 261 cam, and have had zero issues...Key is making sure the timing is correct. Also, make sure your lash adjusters, and rocker shafts are in good condition. If any question buy new lash adjusters...From TOyota...Tod at engnbldr will tell you the same thing.
Are the heads you've used the stock replacement or the RV? Ive got OEM rockers/rocker shafts from 22repeformance with 15k miles, so hopefully those will be ok.

Delta cams 262 is cheaper than engine builders. Don't expect to feel any power gain :D
considering its a 22re I'm geussing this is pretty accurate. I'm ok with the power on the flats, its those damn hills:D

After looking at some vids on YouTube, it would appear that the 261 cam makes an EFI truck idle like a a drag car :SMH:. I really appreciate a smooth/quiet idle and am thinking that the trade off wouldnt be worth the questionable power increase. I'm now entertaining the idea of of buying 22reperformance's stock head/cam. It's $700, couple hundred more that engnbldr's RV head/cam. The only way I can justify it is that it should be a reliable, high quality piece. I do not want to do this again. Am I crazy? Thanks guys

I want to say the stock NEW head, and they both had the 261 cam, that I remember...smooth idle on both, and a slightly marked improvement in power, enough that the owner of one said he was able to hold 4th on a particular hill he used to not be able to hold 4th on...

The 261 isn't going to do **** for the idle. It won't make much more power than stock either. :haha: Grab a stock replacement head and gasket match the intake and header. Grab at least a 270 or 282 duration cam and tweak the timing and mixture till it runs out well. There is a guy on another site with a stock computer 22re tweaked to putting 190 ft lbs to the ground. Granted that's a 2wd but considering it made 120 at the beginning of his journey that's a decent improvement.

The 261 isn't going to do **** for the idle. It won't make much more power than stock either. :haha: Grab a stock replacement head and gasket match the intake and header. Grab at least a 270 or 282 duration cam and tweak the timing and mixture till it runs out well. There is a guy on another site with a stock computer 22re tweaked to putting 190 ft lbs to the ground. Granted that's a 2wd but considering it made 120 at the beginning of his journey that's a decent improvement.

I would honesty like to see those numbers in person lol!! Was the dyno backwards in a hurricane :D

I would honesty like to see those numbers in person lol!! Was the dyno backwards in a hurricane :D

The dude was in college and the school had a chassis dyno. He ported the heck out of the head, went with oversized valves, typical header & exhaust, adjustable cam gear, underdrive pulleys, supra AFM, larger injectors etc. He was running out of the computers ability to compensate for the mods and was setting up mega squirt 3 when he wrecked it last year.

The dude was in college and the school had a chassis dyno. He ported the heck out of the head, went with oversized valves, typical header & exhaust, adjustable cam gear, underdrive pulleys, supra AFM, larger injectors etc. He was running out of the computers ability to compensate for the mods and was setting up mega squirt 3 when he wrecked it last year.

Wow! that's crazy power! if he wasn't blowing smoke out his ass.. and to think I've been wasting all this money trying to get one them damn 4 cyl's to run more than 2 years without committing suicide. Maybe I just need to go for race car 4 cyl hahaha

Yeah, and how much coin did he lay out?

"22RE improvements" don't get a lot of bang for the money you put into it. I don't even want to think about how much money I dumped into my old 22RE powered truck to get a bit more performance.

Yeah, and how much coin did he lay out?

"22RE improvements" don't get a lot of bang for the money you put into it. I don't even want to think about how much money I dumped into my old 22RE powered truck to get a bit more performance.

He was probably in it under a grand honestly. The only part over $50 individually was the cam gear, underdrive pulleys and cam. The maf and injectors are junkyard supra parts.

I absolutely agree that there is only so much juice worth squeezing out of an r series. Lce will happily sell you a 200 hp r series for $6000 all in. Or you can drop in a 3sge backed by a 6 speed trans that'd $1300 shipped to your door that's rated for 210 hp. My 22r is warmed up a bit and waaay more fun than stock but the next step is not more money into their series. :haha:

The pass is like Gary Ridgway, your truck is the hooker.
:wtf: That's one way to say it :haha:

I want to say the stock NEW head, and they both had the 261 cam, that I remember...smooth idle on both, and a slightly marked improvement in power, enough that the owner of one said he was able to hold 4th on a particular hill he used to not be able to hold 4th on...
This is all I'm after as far as power. Just want to hold 4th a little longer, not looking to hotrod a 22re. The old motor was so low on compression, I'm hoping to see some more power just from rebuilding.