• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re head upgrade options

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
A coworker of mine has a 1990 toyota 2wd with a 22re. The motor has no issues and runs well however the head gasket is leaking and he is pondering a new upgraded/mo better head if/ when he does the gasket. He has already in talks with a shop to do the work however doesn't know where to get the new/upgraded head. He asked me... I laughed and let him know I would post to the gurus. Thats you, it its not you, move along...there is nothing to see here.

What are his options and where would you order it from?

TIA

LC engineering is your best bet.

Bang for buck swap a 3rz or something in instead of the 22re

LCE or DOA if the dude is a baller with too much money to spend on a tractor engine. engnbldr.com if he wants to up the performance a bit without spending the kids college fund.

better question would be where or why the gasket is leaking? I'd prolly make sure its actually the gasket thats leaking. if it is just a leak? (not extremely common, but still possible!!) if you want good perfomance, I like LC :awesomework:

Thanks for the replys, I passed the info along. I will let you know what he chooses...

I don't know that he is a "Baller" however he owns porshe, so I assume he is broke like the rest of us...:haha:

I'm flattered that so many agree with what I said. :D

It's not your fault you were right. :flipoff:

The best thing for him to do no matter what he does is use a good head gasket. Fel pro and the like are utter fawking trash on toyotas. Either go factory or get a gasket kit from engnbldr. I've used engnbldrs gaskets on all but one engine and guess which one lost it's head gasket within 6 months... :mad:

If I was doing a high rpm circle track type motor I would go with tim at DOA. Otherwise I would go with the guy in portland.