• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re intake manifold leak

wa4x4boy

22re intake manifold leak EDIT solved the big leak and found another

My 1988 4runner has an 22re intake manifold leak. I was running very lean, so I took my intake apart and found it was warped. I took it in and had it machined. After reinstalling it I am now leaking coolant down the side of the engine from somewhere between the head and intake. I took it apart and put some liquid gasket between the gasket and the head then put the intake back on. After putting it all back together I still have a leak its just less than it was before. I let the liquid gasket set for 24 hours before starting the engine. I was wondering if I need to let it sit longer, or did I screw up by not putting liquid gasket on both sides of the regular gasket?

Does anyone have any other tips here? I need to figure out why I'm leaking now and it wasn't before. This is really irritating because before I was leaking in air and no coolant leak now the air is sealed and I'm leaking coolant. Any information that could help me with this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If the intake was warped, doesn't it make sense that the head might be too? :corn:

I forgot to mention that the head and block are new and the intake is off my old engine that cracked and I replaced. Without that piece of information that would be my best guess too.

I forgot to mention that the head and block are new and the intake is off my old engine that cracked and I replaced. Without that piece of information that would be my best guess too.

So the head's new, and the intake wasn't??? wouldn't you expect the head to be true? And now the intake since you had it surfaced? Are you just now swapping the motor? Or have you ran this motor with the warped intake...I've noticed with the RE motors, there are different thickness intake gaskets depending on the brand of gasket....might see about getting a thicker gasket???

So the head's new, and the intake wasn't??? wouldn't you expect the head to be true? And now the intake since you had it surfaced? Are you just now swapping the motor? Or have you ran this motor with the warped intake...I've noticed with the RE motors, there are different thickness intake gaskets depending on the brand of gasket....might see about getting a thicker gasket???

I didn't think of that. That would probably do it. Since I had it machined it is a little thinner than it was originally.

I need to know the name of the brown sensor off the lower intake manifold on a 22re. It is upside down in the picture. I've sprung a leak in mine and broke it trying to thread seal it.

Thanks in advance

P7191077.jpg

The elctricl or vacuum one?
electric is thermal time switch (cold start switch)

The vacuum one is some form of thermal vacuum valve, or bimetal vacuum switching valve.

Latest posts