• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

258 4.2 timining??

Metalbender

-=WTF=-
I just took the stock carb and intake off my 4.2 258, and put a Clifford intake , header and small 4barrell. How, and what should I set the timing to now????:beer:

Try 8* advanced. I think its right about there. Its been a few years since I switched to TBI. either miens at 8* now or thats what it was when it was carb'd. :redneck:

mines set around 6*BTDC. Chiltons manual says anywhere from 4*BTDC-8*BTDC depending on year and auto or manual.
Also could be as high as 10*BTDC for high altitude
As far as the how goes start and warm up the engine to operating temp,
Disconnect and plug vacuum advance at distributor to prevent any distributor vacuum advance, loosen distributor clamp locknut, turn distributor slowly by the base(not the cap) (a little movement goes a long way) retighten locknut and check your progress. Counterclockwise advances timing (towards BTDC) and clockwise retards timing (towards TDC or ATDC)
Once you find your right setting tighten the distributor clamp locknut back down, receck timing to make sure when you tightened the nut you didn't move the distributor, reconnect vacuum advance hose. drive away and go wheel!!!
Hope this helps
If I'm missing anything experts please help out and fill in what I've missed

I never could get mine to time correctly using that method. It was usually put a 1/2" wrench in my pocket, hop in and drive it. stop, tweek it a little, try it again until I got it to run right. :redneck:

anything is easier than the old way of setting the timing withn the old carb unplug this hold rps at 1700 stand on head bla bla bla......Thanks guys