• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2nd shift, how do you do it?

I just got a promotion to 2nd shift foreman at a truck/trailer repair shop, hours are M-F, 3pm-12. So as a married dude with 2 kids, wife works 7:30am-3:30pm, and one boy is 3 and not in school yet, how do you keep your family together? Gonna be alot more moolahs, so I'd rather not pass on it.

Thanks guys. :dblthumb:

Re:

Make morning your family time. Hit the bed as soon as you get home, get up at 6ish, nap before you go in at 3.... Or stay up till the wife leaves for work then hit the bed.

Dad did 2nd shift when I was little. I've never had to myself, but those are the only 2 ways I'd see it working

5BrothersFabrication said:
I just got a promotion to 2nd shift foreman at a truck/trailer repair shop, hours are M-F, 3pm-12. So as a married dude with 2 kids, wife works 7:30am-3:30pm, and one boy is 3 and not in school yet, how do you keep your family together? Gonna be alot more moolahs, so I'd rather not pass on it.

Thanks guys. :dblthumb:

It's tough, I was on second for 6 months and took my first chance to get back on first. I just tried to make sure all the house stuff was taken care of so the wife didn't have to mess with it while chasing kids around. Normally cook a dinner so all she would have to do is heat it up when they were ready. Just lite things to make it less hectic for them in the evening.

I work 6a to 430p. Wife is 6p to 6a. Also have 2 kids, 1 & 3. It can get tricky sometimes. But one plus is that my wife and I are the only people raising them, no daycare. Luckily, I'm mon - thurs and she's sun - tues/wed. So we still get some days off together. All you can do is accept that you'll have to sacrifice some sleep to gain family time. Congrats on the promotion though. thumb.gif

Re:

Ive done it twice once 18 and again at 30 and married. Was a lot easier to do at 18. Married was hard but it works. Just have to schedule life. Lol. Jduck said it best try to help as much as possible. Kids don't really understand time. So as long as you spend time with them that's all that matters. Momma on the other hand. Make the time with her count. In the past 2 years I've been offered 3 2nd shift jobs and one random 3rd shift( fri-sat-sun, thurs-fri-sat 12hrs) I've passed on all. Except the last(didn't get job). It would have sucked for my hobbies but would have made so much more family time. Money isn't everything but when you can make so much more by taking a different shift it could be worth it.

I was thinking just use it to pay off a bunch of **** for a couple years, then use the foreman experience on a resume for either a first shift foreman at the same company or somewhere else.

Re:

What happens if it sucks you hate it or they terminate your shift? O
At my current company 2nd shift lasted 4 months. Nobody lost a job but they could have.

I did it for a while, it works good as long as you don't have kids, you miss so much of their lives, it has caused a good many of divorces at my job. 3rd shift is where it's at!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My situation is right now I'm alright with 2nd shift works out good for us I work 3pm-11pm sometimes 3am if I pick up some or. She works 4am-12pm. Our son is 2 1/2 years old so no cost on a sitter,daycare etc. So we get every day before I go in a hour or two. Saturday if not working is shop day usually. Then Sunday we call it family day where its just us three. Right now its working for us but honestly its starting to suck the older little man gets feel like I'm missing out especially when he starts sports. I wanna be there for practices an stuff. So I'm already looking for different alternatives only been doing it 9 months. But I think long as you have a good schedule with your family an its positive for your family you will be fine. I actually think its helped me an the wife out since we are not around each other constantly.

Re:

2nd shift? What's that. Where I work, we have only the two, no thirds, despite my ignorant co worker who loves to refer to 10am-9(he stays that late by choice so he can bitch, I can do his job in 4 hrs) as 3rd. I work 4-4 between being short handed and deaths in others family I haven't worked under 70 hrs in 3 weeks. I am single, no children, so it makes it easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I work 2200-0800, and my days off aren't always consecutive each week. My wife is a mental health counselor who has a heavy work load. Our kids are older, but it's been like this for a while. We make the best of our limited time together as a family. We both sacrifice rest and sleep for one another. It sucks, but it's worth it.

DON"T DO IT.

Some things in life are not worth the money, especially if you want to be there when your kids grow up. When i worked second i hand NO life...i didn't have a family at the time and i don't see how it would be a good way to go. You will not see your money, when you get home at night you will eat at midnight and then it will take you a while to wind down from the day which means that you will not go to sleep until up in the morning sometime and you can forget friends because most of them will work a normal work schedule. All just to get up during the middle of the day after you have got a crappy bit of sleep just to go back to the same monotonous job...Add kids a wife and obligations to keep things up around the house and that is a recipe for a miserable life.
That is just my .02

Funny you posted this, today is my last day on 2nd shift. finally getting 1st shift after raising 400 dollars worth of hell. been on 2nd for 7.5 years 7 years on 3rd and it sucked, if you have problems going to sleep as soon as you get home its going to be tuff, I get home at 11:30 by 12 I am in the bed asleep up by 6 so it wasn't too bad in the sleep department but lately I was missing them bad by the end of the week, missed a lot the kid stuff, had to take vac time to catch what I could. thru the week barely seen them when school was in, you just have to make the best of the time you do have . maybe you can snag a 1st shift job before long
Try not to let it be long term, time has a way of slipping by :****:

Only thing bad about 2nd shift is Friday nights if you wanted to leave and go on a trip etc. I'm 7 months in working 1st shift and I hate it.

Going on 13 years of 2nd shift here...... :rolf: Although I've been on a mid day split shift for temporary coverage for a couple months. Came in on dayshift today, to cover for someone, fawking coming in at 8am is like the worst thing ever. My body is geared to wake up on it's own around 12 or 1 every day, and get sleepy around 3-4ish. If I ever went full on dayshift, it would take me a looooong time to adjust.

I don't have family at home, but like the real Nick Cooper said, just gonna have to sacrifice sleep for family time. I don't see anyone other than those I work with, throughout the week, only see the gf on weekends. She works 3rd during the week. I guess I'm just used to it, because I've always been on 2nd between the 3 jobs I've had since I was 15. 2nd works out good with college though. Not so much with families. Good luck, chase that money!

I work half of first shift and all of second. 10am to 11 pm Thursday Saturday Sunday. Works for me, off 4 days a week. But i don't have wife or children

xjtony said:
I work half of first shift and all of second. 10am to 11 pm Thursday Saturday Sunday. Works for me, off 4 days a week. But i don't have wife or children

What the hell kind of schedule is that lol, what do you do?