• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3.0 Toyota head gaskets or swap?

Toddy

Got a perfect 93 xtra cab Toyota. One owner 150k truck. Head gasket is blown.

Put head gaskets on it and go or swap maybe a 3.4 or other?

This is a super nice truck. Want to fix it right and drive for another 150k but don't want to do head gaskets ever year.

If I do fix the 3.0. What are tips and tricks to get it to last?

I'd love to drop a 5.3 and 4l60 in it but prob more then I want to spend.

3.4 swap is very well documented and doesn't look that difficult. I don't think there is a more solid / reliable motor out there than a 3.4 either.

Even if you find one that runs kinda rough, it usually just needs plugs/wires.

I've done a few of the 3.0 3.4 swaps automatic trucks r a pain, 5spd. trucks r some what easy I have a guy that builds the harness for me probably the best their is around if u need help let me no

I'm thinking that if the first gasket made it 150k and your goal is another 150k then just fix it n roll...

If what you really want tho is a project then swap it....

Soooo decide what you want and this question won't need to be answered...

gottagofast said:
I'm thinking that if the first gasket made it 150k and your goal is another 150k then just fix it n roll...

If what you really want tho is a project then swap it....

Soooo decide what you want and this question won't need to be answered...

I guess I was assuming that it has been run hot and blowed the hell up when the gasket let go (like most people do)

It would be hard for me to spend much on a 3.0 though.

U have to use the 3.4 auto trans and the inch worm gear adapter and build a x member ,i've tried taking all the shift parts from a 3.4 auto and install on the 3.0 and still they want shift out of 2nd gear..using the inch worm 3.4 to gear driving case adapter way not easy but it work..I build the cross over tube on the back on the engine to tie into the factory it looks better and gives u alot of room cause the other way it's close to the starter

If you fix the 3.0, put headers and a non stock crossover pipe on it.

The stock 3.0 crossover pipe is behind the heads, above the bellhousing.

All passenger side exhaust dumps into the driver side, at the back of the driver side head.

When driven hard, this cooks the back of the driver side head.

The change in temperature from the front of the head to the rear causes the head to warp.

This also causes the coolant temp in the back of the driver head to sky rocket compared to rest of the cooling system.

If you decide to fix the gaskets, make sure you get the heads checked/milled for flatness.

It was cheaper for me to get another replacement rebuilt head, than to mill mine.

Then install headers that have the crossover or y pipe much farther down stream and it shouldn't be an issue.