• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3 link or sas kit? any ideas?

lilpain

so im going to do a sas on my budy's truck. should we do a sas kit or just buy the 3 link kit and the extended brakelines and make the frame braces? any ideas? cost? faster?

so im going to do a sas on my budy's truck. should we do a sas kit or just buy the 3 link kit and the extended brakelines and make the frame braces? any ideas? cost? faster?

Its funny you ask this...Im on the fence as to which way im going on the 4 runner.

well on trail-gear the lit includes airshocks the bars, mounting, ect. i have the abiltyand tools to fab stuff up. i was just think wouldnt it be smarter? or am i just getting my self into a money pit? the sas kit is $1200. and the threelink is the same i believe.

I have read lots on PBB that the geometry on TG's link kits are marginal at best. For that kind of money I'd want something that works well.

I'd do a simple sas w/ RUF and maybe TG rears if your looking for easy.

3 links seem kinda weird if it's going to be a streetable rig. When the front suspension unloads or compresses, the axle moves lateraly relative to the frame. The weird part is what does the the steering do if the axle has lateral movement since the drag link goes between the steering box on the frame and the steering arm. I guess it depends on how soft the suspension is and how steep the angle of the 3rd link is. Head scratcher. I know jeeps have this setup from the factory and they get lifted all the time so it must work. I guess it depends how good the kit geometry is.

If you do the three link, take in consideration that you will also be doing full hydro steering as well....Let me rephrase that :D Your going to have to do full hydro if you do the three link.

3 links seem kinda weird if it's going to be a streetable rig. When the front suspension unloads or compresses, the axle moves lateraly relative to the frame. The weird part is what does the the steering do if the axle has lateral movement since the drag link goes between the steering box on the frame and the steering arm. I guess it depends on how soft the suspension is and how steep the angle of the 3rd link is. Head scratcher. I know jeeps have this setup from the factory and they get lifted all the time so it must work. I guess it depends how good the kit geometry is.

Most rigs (I believe) that come factory with a front link type suspension, use a "5 link" 4 link type of system with a panhard bar as well. At least that is true with Dodge trucks (with a factory solid axle of course) and I think Jeeps as well. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I know I am at least kinda right :redneck:

im pretty sure tg. says their kits are for "offroad" use!!!
if you got the time and its a trail rig 3 link it!!! thjeir is a reason why more people are going to link set ups..

S.A.S. = hysteer with ram assist if you want

3-Link = full hydro steering

(Edit) In my opinion.

Last edited:
This will be no street legal rig. lol so 3 link hydro steering? sounds good? anything else?

Yes, search the many threads in the garage sectionthat has done this....:fawkdancesmiley:
Make your decision whether this is all something you want to tackle after looking around a bit...
Nobody here has a CLUE what this rig looks like, it's intentions, what kinda $$$ you want to throw at it, etc, etc.......

S.A.S. = hysteer with ram assist if you want

3-Link = full hydro steering

No. You can still run a drag link (or is it a tie rod? I get em mixed up all the time) with a three link. I have done it, I have several friends who run it and Ill soon be doing another with a three link non full hydro.

No. You can still run a drag link (or is it a tie rod? I get em mixed up all the time) with a three link. I have done it, I have several friends who run it and Ill soon be doing another with a three link non full hydro.

With a TG kit or custom made?

I have done hysteer and hydro assist on a three link toy front, but thats not using a kit.

I have heard several times that the TG kit does not play nice with a hysteer,

If you run it that way, it'd be both. The Drag link is gearbox to arm. Tie rod is arm to arm.

I just purchased a bracket kit for a 3 link for Taco Runner on pirate and I will say that his stuff is quality. I saw the Trail Gear kit in action and was alarmed at the way it performed. I was going to buy theirs up until that point. Check out his stuff at http://www.4wheelunderground.com/ it is worth the money. I used Radflo for coilovers.

Your thinking of a four link.

He is talking about using the tg 3 link so that's why I was saying he needs to do full hydro. If it wasn't kit specific then it would be a different story. I'm sorry that you can't seem to read what's going on before you jump into it:drooling1:

I just purchased a bracket kit for a 3 link for Taco Runner on pirate and I will say that his stuff is quality. I saw the Trail Gear kit in action and was alarmed at the way it performed. I was going to buy theirs up until that point. Check out his stuff at http://www.4wheelunderground.com/ it is worth the money. I used Radflo for coilovers.

Very nice find. I agree with you. Alarming to see it in action.

Last edited:

Latest posts