• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3-phase convertor

3gracing

I thought i saw bones or somebody posting something about a convertor to convert 230v to 460v or something. maybe I read it wrong? Can get a real good deal on a 10hp I/R compressor but it is 3 phase and my dad's shop is only set up for 2 phase. If somebody knows of this and where to purchase it would be great!

Brian

I use one of these to run a 20hp 3-phase dummy motor that I found rebuilt at a local electric motor shop for $100:

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/StaticDescription.htm

I then pull true 3-phase off that motor to run my 10hp lathe. I have about $200+ wiring into the setup. The 20hp dummy motor can be kind of loud and annoying. It weighs about 200 lbs. I wish I would have mounted it in the back of the shop instead of right next to the lathe but that would have required a lot more wire. My dummy motor can be used to power any other 3-phase stuff I want in the future.

J. J.

I use a phase a matic static box on my mill, 3 horse rated for about $75.
You can build a rotary pretty ****ing easy if you have lots of low horse single phase 100 motors laying around (I'm at about 10 of them laughing1), a big ass 3 phase motor and some time/minimal fab skill. spin the 3 phase that is larger than the one on your 3 phase machine with the 110 motor. Have your 2 110 legs hooked to 2 of the hot legs on your big converter motor and also to 2 of the hot legs in your equipment. The third hot leg in your equipment goes to the third leg in the dummy startup motor.
problem with a compressor is you probably need a static as it starts all the time. A lathe or mill you can turn on your startup rotary then start teh equipment. Compressor needs to do it all itself. Call phase-a-matic and see what they say

Thanks for the info Kelly, you confirmed what a guy told me at work about using a 110 motor to pull a dummy motor to make your own 3-phase power, except you explained it alot better! Will relay this info to my dad and see what he wants to do.

Brian

been there, done that. it wont work on a compressor or welder or whatever pulls hard of and on. welder is too intermitent, spikes too much. a compressor pulls too hard off the start. i have tried phase converters and went through several electricians. dont mean to rain on your parade, thats how kelly scored his from me. i bought it and sold it cause it wouldnt work

3gracing said:
Thanks for the info Kelly, you confirmed what a guy told me at work about using a 110 motor to pull a dummy motor to make your own 3-phase power, except you explained it alot better! Will relay this info to my dad and see what he wants to do.

Brian
Yes, work quite well on a lathe or mill or something. Like Luke is saying, all the cycles on and off and such, just buy a $$$$$motor that is made for single phase. About $700 ish for a 7ish horse.

You can run a compressor on it, I've got a 10 horse motor that runs my whole shop. My compressor has a 5 horse motor. You just have to make sure to change the wires around to the 240 setting on your pecker head. I run lathes, mills,radial drill, surface grinders and compressors off of it. Never a problem at all.

Latest posts