• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

302 swap

codyy

hey guys i been wanting more power then my 22r i got an 84 and just bought a 302 out of an older bronco. you guys know the easiest way about this. is there a place i can buy motor mounts that will bolt up, and is there adapter from c4 tranny to toyota t case?

yup, they sell everything you would need for this swap.

you'll want to use a good Efan. as it has to be mounted as a pusher, instead of a puller. assuming you keep the rad up front.

ok guys thanks alot this should be fun! about to have some power now my motor last longer then 2 months at a time lol, not really but ya know one questions i have is radiators if i get good fan would i be able to keep my radiator? or go with v6 one or just fab one up to put in? i do drive hard

ok guys thanks alot this should be fun! about to have some power now my motor last longer then 2 months at a time lol, not really but ya know one questions i have is radiators if i get good fan would i be able to keep my radiator? or go with v6 one or just fab one up to put in? i do drive hard
the stock one wont work.
a v6 one would be barely adequate if that.

you'll need a good rad. expect to spend some money on it.

You might try finding a ford explorer radiator. Some of them automatics with A/C and a 4.0 motor have a 3 core radiator. I know its a direct swap to put one into a little bronco II, so I would think it would fit in a toyota. I want to say the inlet and outlets are on the correct sides for a ford waterpump also.

Then, some of the thunderbirds and taurus cars have a wicked 2 speed electric fan that is pretty low profile, and moves some SERIOUS air. You have to run those big maxi-fuses as it can draw upwards of 50 amps I believe. The bronco II guys run low speed always, and put the high speed on a switch and just watch the temp gauge.

ok and i think im going with c4 tranny with adpater to toyots t case, do you know if cross memeber will bolt up in same spot. i know it did when i had a th350 in it, or the oil pan do i have to get custom on? or 2 wheel drive one?

Last edited:
ok and i think im going with c4 tranny with adpater to toyots t case, do you know if cross memeber will bolt up in same spot. i know it did when i had a th350 in it, or the oil pan do i have to get custom on? or 2 wheel drive one?
yes.
i used an advanced adapter kit...the xmember was in the original location.

and you're going to want a rear sump pan, and pick-up tube.

last couple things for now thanks you guys are alot of help but will i be able to keep radiator in same spot or do i need to notch out front clip? and will the fuel injected 5l out of f150 fit with the hood closed or do i need an intake manifold off mustang?

The truck manifold is outrageously tall and I beleive it is a speed density system where the poopstang is MAF and much lower profile. go with the car manifold.

I'm not a ford guy but just trying to help :beer:

Depends on the year on the trucks. The cars went MAF in like 86 or so, but the trucks didnt switch until almost 90. I had an 88 5.0 out of an f150 and it was speed density.

Nothing wrong with speed density, its just MAF is alot easier to tinker with, as the computer can adjust for the changes FAR more than the speed density can without major reprogramming.

ok i think these are last couple questions what years did that tranny bolt up to cuz didnt they move back couple inches later years? i got an 84. and for efi fuel pump and line do i just get a fuel tank out of a efi yota like 87 or somthing? so i have the high pressure fittings? and i believe the motor is MAF its a 91, im not gunna deal with speed density. so 90s mustang will bolt right up?

so i got this knowlege get the 91 motor with with the obd-1 comp that was from 84-93 i think. mustang intake manifold and rear sump oil pan and pickup tube and yes POKEY that would be sweet if i could get that what ya want for it? where ya located im in port angeles washington.

Last edited:
I have done this swap. I made my own mounts. The easiest (not cheapest) efi is get a chevy throttle body set up. Use the 305 injectors and 305 PROM in the computer. You can set the engine low enough for the hood to close. I used a griffen aluminum radiator with the taurus fan (uses lot of juice). It was fine trail riding but long hill climbs or snow wheeling would heat it up. If you are going to rockcrawl you'll need a deep tranny pan with an extended pick up. An anti wrap bar helps. Front drive lines can be an issue but cured by a dual case. I have a c4 to toy case adaptor. This is a great swap, the engine fits nice and gives lots of power but still fairly lightweight.

ok i think i got it all rapped up till i start the project but what you got for exhaust will headers ffrom for explorer fit if i got those, cuz the headers from northwest offroad are almost 700 bucks

This is the 5.0 swap Brad and I did in my 68 Cougar.

Cougar2-9-20083.jpg

Cougar2-9-20082.jpg

This is the fuel pump / filter system...

DSCN5877.jpg

Go with a MAF system.

I don't care what anyone says about modifying a stock harness...**** that... get ahold of RJMPerformance and get a new harness... they are about 600 bucks, and worth every penny.. the wiring is top notch, and has all new clips, and all the EGR **** is taken out...

I used a high pressure fuel system from Ron Morris Performance that is a poly line and is stupid simple to install...

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com...uct_Code=9191&Category_Code=Fuel_System_Parts

Mine has a stock radiator from a 91 Thunderbird... not sure if it would fit in a toyota, but it cools great and is SKINNY...

I used a ProForm electric fan with a built in thermostat that was cheap, easy to install, and cools like a champ...

You'll need a tight pair of headers to fit inside the framerails. I used a pair of hooker headers. They were inexpesive but still had a thick phlange. I did have to cut and reweld a piece of the tube. They were a midlength style. It was always a game of millimeters getting everything to fit with no body lift. I agree with Pooh, buy an aftermarket efi harness, I got mine from Howell and it still works great (it on an s-10 now).