• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

351w cam

electrican

anybody got any good suggestions for a cam for a 351windsor that is stroked to a 406 with 60cc chamber aluminum heads and running on propane.Will be running a automatic tranny and doubler. Any help would be appreciated.

That would b the worst thing u could do a gm might b alil cheaper to build but they dont turn the rpms a ford will....it depends on what your wanting do u want it to scream or low end me personally depending on the compression & heads id go with a solid lift roller they sound good & they love rpms

is it a "newer" HO hyd roller type block or "older" flat tappet style, if its already hyd. roller i would slap in a e303 or if i wanted a little more top end a f303 or possibly one of comps thumper cams, of course a custom grind solid roller lunati would work also :driving:

agreed on the ford racing cams, i have a e 303 in my 5.0 in the big jeep, builds great low and mid power but these are for roller blocks only, so if your windsor is older than 95 you will need a flat tappet of retro lifter kit

ive got a big cam in my smith buggy and it runs on propane, no issues there, the only issue i can see is that a motor with little to no vaccum might not operate a vaccum operated fuel shut off, simple fix is an electronic fuel shut off

Dude with the parts list your using ( stroked, after market heads, and high octane pane) it can handle and most likely benefit from a lot larger cam than a E or B, also high flowing heads take advantage of split duration cams alot more than stock exhaust restricted heads where the ford letter cams shine, just my 2 pennies.

You need to call comp or lunati and let them figure it up for ya. Each setup is different.

I have tried to run a 377 on a Lunati 40119 grind with no luck. Had to manually lift the hat on the mixer to prime the engine to crank due to the lack of vacuum. I also have a 406 chevy on the same set-up with a mild .460 lift hydraulic flat tappet and absolutely love it. On the 377, after i got it fired, it would only turn about 5500 before it ran out of propane feed. I would be very cautious of full out race engines for lack of vacuum and dependability. Just my .02.

Dont go to big with the duration on the cam or it mite give you trouble starting we have three on propane two with over 300 duration and they will not crank unless you prime the system, my bbf has a comp xtreme energy 270 dur 552 lift and it cranks good.

this all makes sense, i have a big cam in my smith buggy with pane and i hafta prime it to start but it runs fine, if its shut off for more than a minute i hafta prime it again, not a big deal being a buggy and the mixer is just outside my front window....other than than it runs fine at w.o.t.

sent the motor and vehicle specs to the cam company today asking for there recomendations on cam waiting to see what they have to say. Lug nut I think u been inhaling to much pipe cleaner to run with the old ford and poppy I just forgive you with the old age. LOL Forgot to tell yall it's more than likeley going to be getting a hydralic roller cam and roller lifters to free everything up a little more.And as far as being worried about not being able to get enough fuel for w.o.t. you don't have all that for a ford.