• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

383 on payne ???

xjpaddler

I got my hands on a 383 with aluminum heads ( not sure what Brand) My buggy is already set up for payne.

My ??? are

what is a good cam to run for what we do?? also if I am going to go through this motor is there anything I need to do to help it run on payne, Different valves, or anyting???

Im not much on building motors, but willing to learn.

oh yea cucvs, 456s and 43s Ive got a doubler so crawling is not a prob, but i need more motor for the hill climbs.

I'm no expert, but I've always heard propane needs higher compression to make the horsepower.

Any chance you wanna bump up compression, Heath?

Also, timing needs to be adjusted, correct?

Boy, I'm full of help... NOT!!! :wtflol:

Lots of compression and don't go to big on your cam or you won't have much vacuum.that's about it

jordan7118 said:
I'm no expert, but I've always heard propane needs higher compression to make the horsepower.

Any chance you wanna bump up compression, Heath?

Also, timing needs to be adjusted, correct?

Boy, I'm full of help... NOT!!! :wtflol:

yes I am wanting to make some power. Planning to bump the compression, what kinda #s should I be looking for. anyone got some specs on cams??

plan to do some work on the dizzy as well, anyone got any tips there??

Re: Re: 383 on payne ???

If u want all the hp outta the motor put an efi system on it and get rid of the propane.

Stay at least 11:1 or higher on compression,and get you a cam around a 270 or 280, always better to call the cam company and let them recommend one tho.And it's hard to beat a good hei distributor, they are just so reliable.if you get all that and run a 2,000 or 2,400 stall it should be a beast.

Nuts said:
What mixer and vaporizer/regulator are you running? 425 and model E?

Yes 425 and model E hopeing that should work for the motor.

I currently have 305 in the rig, and the jump from 1st to second is just to much for it. 1st isnt quite enough wheel speed for some of the longer climbs and second bogs the motor and have to drop back to first.

I have the 383, and ithas trick flow alum heads, I also have a low mile 5.3 but was trying to hang on to it for my next build.

Going from a 305 to a good 383 is going to feel like going from a pinto to a Vette, your going to eat 2nd up with it if you get it set up right.

A 383 producing any kind of horsepower is going to run out of air and fuel at about 5000 rpm. It might rev past that point but it will not have enough fuel to make any more power. We have the necessary parts to convert to a dual mixer/vaporizer setup. A single mixer is good for about 325 hp. On a 350 it will go to about 5200 rpm. If I can help give me a call. Propane systems are what we do.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

altfuel1991 said:
A 383 producing any kind of horsepower is going to run out of air and fuel at about 5000 rpm. It might rev past that point but it will not have enough fuel to make any more power. We have the necessary parts to convert to a dual mixer/vaporizer setup. A single mixer is good for about 325 hp. On a 350 it will go to about 5200 rpm. If I can help give me a call. Propane systems are what we do.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

buddy thanks for the info, if I am going to go through the trouble and expense of a a dual mixer set up, then I will probly swap to an efi system. but if I decide to go that route I will look you up thumb.gif

Latest posts