• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

39 Reds VS. 43 SX swampers

Reds have been around a long time and keep getting passed around till there's nothing left, those slick tires you see are probably old as dirt....but still work amazing on dry rock

billstoy said:
I agree the centers need to be cut , just not sure what cut would do the best.

When I bought my sxs" stickies " I was told do not cut them. If you open them up they are bad to tear. From what I've heard Tc cut a set and pretty much ruined them ???. That's just hear say but, Goforth told me not to cut my stickies.

June dog said:
When I bought my sxs" stickies " I was told do not cut them. If you open them up they are bad to tear. From what I've heard Tc cut a set and pretty much ruined them ???. That's just hear say but, Goforth told me not to cut my stickies.

But Timmie Cameron cut his :tc

tonybolton said:
He can afford to **** up 2+grand worth of tires.

More like 3 grand. Even if I knew it would help it would be hard for ME to start cutting up a brand new $700 tire four times

Re: Re: 39 Reds VS. 43 SX swampers

poolman said:
More like 3 grand. Even if I knew it would help it would be hard for ME to start cutting up a brand new $700 tire four times
I can't convince myself to cut a brand new set of $400 ltbs, much less a $700 sticky

I really think that is one of the differences in the performance of reds vs sx; the lack of huge voids on the red. ... i personally feel with stickies, the more rubber on the rock the more traction- in the more technical crawling aspect. The red have less voids therefore more rubber on rock, versus sx having more void -fewer sq in of rubber in contact =less traction. That's not to speak of the compound difference as well. Obviously in the loose, more voids equates to more traction- equaling a nod to sx in that respect.

This is to why BOTH tires seem to grip better as they wear.

This is all my humble pinion and why i will not cut my sticky sx's.

matt

Re:

I think the sx has less void in the center of the tire than a red.

The interlocking chevron center tread on any swamped almost makes it a "racing slick" in the center, while the outside tread has huge voids.

The bfg has a pretty even "void ratio" all the way across.

Re: Re: Re: 39 Reds VS. 43 SX swampers

mcutler said:
I really think that is one of the differences in the performance of reds vs sx; the lack of huge voids on the red. ... i personally feel with stickies, the more rubber on the rock the more traction- in the more technical crawling aspect. The red have less voids therefore more rubber on rock, versus sx having more void -fewer sq in of rubber in contact =less traction. That's not to speak of the compound difference as well. Obviously in the loose, more voids equates to more traction- equaling a nod to sx in that respect.

This is to why BOTH tires seem to grip better as they wear.

This is all my humble pinion and why i will not cut my sticky sx's.

matt
The bgf is better when it's a lower tread due to the tread blocks are no longer able to roll instead of remain flat. The tread is too longer and doesn't remain flat. Racers use to shave the treads so they wouldn't due that, and that is the reason for new half treads.

Re:

I think that could be said for both, there again more sq/in in contact the more they wear, therefore why cut the blocks for more edges and loose surface area. Again just my pinion

matt

I've noticed that the more I wear out my Iroks and the flatter they get the more they seem to grab on rocks. I just figure its like a drage slick having more contact patch on the road. After all the road is essentially on big ass flat rock so if your just on flat rocks and not trying to dig through mud then wouldn't more rubber on the rock be better?? :dunno:

onepieceatatime said:
I've noticed that the more I wear out my Iroks and the flatter they get the more they seem to grab on rocks. I just figure its like a drage slick having more contact patch on the road. After all the road is essentially on big ass flat rock so if your just on flat rocks and not trying to dig through mud then wouldn't more rubber on the rock be better?? :dunno:
Essentially yes. Depends on compound along with tread design that allow the tire to flex, and let's not forget side walls. Super thick side walls would affect flex as well.

nhl_bullitt said:
Where do you guys get 39" red labels? I came across Jackson Motorsports Group. If there is a vendor on here, let me know.
If you race you can buy from them. How you become a dealer to outright sale them I'm not sure.

nhl_bullitt said:
No, I don't race. Just looking for some more traction on the weekends. :driving:

Register for a race, any race, bounty hill, etc, and send your proof of racing to Jackson to register with them so you can buy tires from them.

Some people act like bfg doesn't want to sell Red labels, I don't think that's the case, they just want to sell them through a controlled distributer so they can gather data and know where their tires are going/what they're doing.

booyang

I remember Ken Blume cutting the rounded edge of his BFG's to square them back off. That was years ago at the camp ground in Jellico.

To me the square edge on the crawlers would work better. I do remember some guys going out and smoking there new tires. The theory was that the tires were softer once the outer most layer was removed.

Also remember Ivan Stewarts team had a fixture to mount tires and grind the **** out of them. He ran MTR's. Dirt track guys do the same thing.

TBItoy said:
Register for a race, any race, bounty hill, etc, and send your proof of racing to Jackson to register with them so you can buy tires from them.

Some people act like bfg doesn't want to sell Red labels, I don't think that's the case, they just want to sell them through a controlled distributer so they can gather data and know where their tires are going/what they're doing.

booyang
Damn, that is an inconvenient way to give away my money. Not a whole lot for me to register for around here. I haven't been trying to buy a set for a year or anything, but I am very interested as of recent and the couple attempts I've made have not been successful.