• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3vz-e v6 ticking gremlin

Oil can

ok here is the deal. i have a 1990 4 runner. i have been plagued by little ticking noise.:mad: i have checked the valve lash and that wasn't it.:booo: i started playing with a scope to track down the noise and it lead me to the fuel pressure regulator. that is definitely were it's the loudest. my question is, is it typical for a pressure regulator to make that noise when it goes bad or is it a sign that there is something else wrong in the fuel system?
i can easily go get a new one but i wanted to make sure i was heading in the right direction.

thanks!

i have a 93 and it sounds the same, fairly loud at higher rpm's.
i have done the same as you and nuthin?
i figured it was the injecters?
i am curious also.

i could understand if it was just a little noise but mine is a little excessive.
I'm on a mission!!!! I'm going to get to bottom of this.

i also thought it might be the crossover exhast that goes over the top of the bell housing to conect to the other side?
thought maby it was just that?

just did head gasket about 5000 ago and every thing on the top is fresh. other than the noise, runs smooth plugs burning clean, idles good.
keep the ideas coming. I'm all ears.

Sorry, I didn't specify, exhaust manifold. Seems a few of my buddies that have had these motors have had exhaust manifold leaks, mainly from the collector.

ok gotcha. yeah i did initially have a down pipe leak on the drivers side, and messed with that for a while and finally chased it down. and i have since kept a close eye on it and I'm not getting any carbon build up around the heads.......

i think the exhaust is good.

thats kind of what i was wondering. thats why i didn't replace the regulator yet.
so old, or bad, injectors could cause that noise threw the fuel rail?
now if i had a bad injector or all, would that reflect how the plugs were burning? the weird thing is all the plugs looked like they were burning clean. is this com en even with a bad injector?

thats what i thought, i talked to others and they all said theirs sound the same. mine only has 147k and i bought it with 114k and sounded like then. the head has had the recall work done. i have checked valve lash, etc. so i am not sure if the injecters are just noisy normally? or if they need a cleaning? as you said it runs fine, mpg is fine, everything other then noisy!

did ya poke that scope around the PCV valve? they get kinda noisy too sometimes.

Other than that and what others have suggested, enjoy your sewing machine.

Mine does it to. It sounds like the left rear injector. I have already spent more money in that motor that I should have. So just drive it till it blows and then 4.3 it

Mine does it to. It sounds like the left rear injector. I have already spent more money in that motor that I should have. So just drive it till it blows and then 4.3 it till THAT blows, then make a good decision and 5vz-fe it

Fixed it for ya.