• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.0 I6 Swap

Ryn109

My Yj's motor/tranny are on their last leg (engine noise and little oil pressure/ lost 3rd and losing 2nd). Putting in a another 4.0 I6 and ax15 this weekend.
There any common mistakes people make while doing this? I have a repair manual but looking for advice from peoples own experiences. My first time doing an engine swap so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. Searched for Old posts but came up with nothing. Any input will help thanks.​

Put tags on all wires and plugs then match the tags up on the new motor. After the old motor is out set it next to the new one and move the tags over. this makes it way easy to get the wires and plugs in the right spots.

You should be good as long as your old motor is the 4.0 and the ax15 and the 4cyl and the ax5, I have the shitty set up with the 2.5 and the ax5 and I need to do the swap. Good luck and take lots of pic because I will be doing the same thing soon.

You should be good as long as your old motor is the 4.0 and the ax15 and the 4cyl and the ax5, I have the shitty set up with the 2.5 and the ax5 and I need to do the swap. Good luck and take lots of pic because I will be doing the same thing soon.

He's swapping 4.0 for 4.0...just a different yr is all....:;

He's swapping 4.0 for 4.0...just a different yr is all....:;

Well, maybe. I'm pretty sure '97 is OBDII. I know '92 is OBDI. I believe the block and head can interchange, but the OBDII sensors and computer are just a bit more complex. It's not "just" plug and play, but not really that different than some model year changes in earlier engines.

If it's not having access issues, there is a great forum on CJOffroad.com. I can't get to it right now though, to post a link.

Well, maybe. I'm pretty sure '97 is OBDII. I know '92 is OBDI. I believe the block and head can interchange, but the OBDII sensors and computer are just a bit more complex. It's not "just" plug and play, but not really that different than some model year changes in earlier engines.

If it's not having access issues, there is a great forum on CJOffroad.com. I can't get to it right now though, to post a link.

x2 Wiring harnesses are different. PM POS97TJ. He has been swapping harnesses around for a while in his new TJ. It seems like a bitch to get it right.

Yes, the block/head IS interchangeable, but you have to use all the OBD I components from the 92 engine (intake/exh/dizzy/ sensors/wiring/etc....).

Yes, the block/head IS interchangeable, but you have to use all the OBD I components from the 92 engine (intake/exh/dizzy/ sensors/wiring/etc....).

The wiring harness on the 97 is cut. Would splicing them onto the old wires work? Or should i just use injectors and wires from my old motor? ODBI components interchangable from my 92 to 97? Whats best route to go? Thanks for all the info so far
:awesomework:

Last edited:

I'll take some pics and post them through the weekend.

In MY opinion, if you have a complete running '92 engine, and just want to replace a tired block, I would use the '97 as a long block, and keep all the '92 accessories. Just use the harness that's already installed, same computer, etc. It's the simplest way, and there is no performance gain with the '97 electronics.

Tagged and marked
2010-03-09180252.jpg

2010-03-10204638.jpg

Pulling motor
2010-03-11205522.jpg

Pulled all at once.
2010-03-12195945.jpg

Shop floor carnage.
2010-03-12195945.jpg

The 97 motor.
2010-03-10183529.jpg

Newer motor/tranny in. Almost done :D
2010-03-13190517.jpg

Got radiator and front grill to put in, buy new serp belt that fits. Fill motor and tranny. Hook up battery and hope it starts! :cheer:

Didn't set timing when I pulled distributor cap out of my old engine to new one :mad: So it's turning over and not starting. Tomorrow after work is another day night in the shop :booo: