• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 tbi problems

wazz said:
Yes I agree it is rare i think ive only seen 1 actual TBI injector on a chevy go bad. IM sure you have patched up and replaced pleanty of them 4 wire harnesses though, I found quite often the wires under the air cleaner spacer failing. Just sucks they dont give an easy way to check the PSI without like using the motorvac machine leads.

I have a special tool for checking the PSI :redneck:

Injectors appear to be working correctly once I get it running.
I will know more after this weekend. I am too broke right now to throw parst at it. I did check groundls lastnignt and thay all worked fine.

Huh, so it sprays fuel out the injectors but wont start off that much fuel? Or it dosent spray fuel out the injector untill you induce fuel to get it running?

So you did check it for codes allready didnt you?
I would do that first then,
Its probably time to check fuel presure.

My runner used to have a piece of rubber fuel return line pinch under part of the body when ever it went vertical in this mud fest hole, 1 little zip tye and some new underwear and all better, you might wanna check the rig over for new physical damage causing the problem if you havent allready.:D

Wazz,
No the "pre fire" of the injectors is not working. Once I dump gas in the throttle body by hand it fires up and runs although it misses a little and realy does not run goood, but the ijector patter looks nice on both of the injectors

by pre-fire im guessing you mean the the injectors are not spraying fuel while its cranking? I ask cause I have never had any GM TBI ignition modual effect that. Far as i know GM TBI's choke is simply the cooalnt temp sender efecting the injector on time and the IdleAirControl position and thats just to bump up the idle.

here is a copy of how your ignition module is wired, as you can see there is only 1 output signal and if that didnt work you would not run at all, Really I think your barking up the wrong tree with the module.

ESC.91.chevy.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhhh conflicting reports are killing me. So do you think the water temp sensor could be a problem? That would be toooo simple.
My brother gave me a ign mod. so I will switch it for fun ..hehe.
How would I test a temp sensor with a digital volt meter? Is that possible?

typicaly when the coolant sender signal is an "open" the computer thinks is -39*F out and adds tons of fuel making it run very very rich, it is possible to be -39* out so it will NOT set a code.

I would check it at the computer end of the wireing if your gonna check it.

coolant.91.chevy.jpg

Wazz,
I realy appreciate the time you are spending to talk me through this. I can't plug the computer in to find out what is wrong becuase the diagnostic port was never hooked up. This whole thing was setup by a chev tech in 93 and was made to run on as few wires as possible.
When the Jeep is running It does run super rich and misses a little but sounds good at WOT. Once the Jeep is warmed up thats when she runs real shitty acts like it is running out of fuel and dies constantly.

coolant sender sounds up there on the list of things to consider.

the ALDL or assembly line data link conector is like 4 wires and found at most any wrecking yard, you would be way ahead to hook one up.

You dont have to have an ALDL to check the codes, my source dosent show the other side of the service engine light so this may take some playing around to get it to work.

Basicly you need to locate terminals D6(White/Black) and A6(Brown) and conect them (thats like pining A&B togeter on the ALDL) then you need a test light on the A7 wire with the other end of the light eiter hooked to ground or powert IM not sure witch ground would be the safest one to try first. The light will blink codes at that point with the key in the on position.

Ok my parts are here time to get back to work :cheer:

You know I lied the port is connected becuase a friend Tom Tillford tried to hook his code reader up at Liberty Memorial day but, nothing came of it acted like port was not hooked up.
Well I atleast have a couple cheap parts to through at it now and see what happens. After that I may just take it to somone. I am so friken stupid when it comes to wirering, and spelling if you had not noticed..lol

Well none of that **** worked. New temp sensor, new ign control mod. And I check the ECM grounds and they are good.
All I got left I can through at it for parts are a couple of electrical do dads near the map sensor not even sure what they are. After that I guess the whole wire harness will have to come out. Wich I can't even fathom. I am tempted to put a friken carb on the god dam thing so it will run ;(.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but i would not put a carb on it. I dont think you would be happy with it even if you did get it to run right with the carb. Maybe spend some money and have someone else take a look? Or maybe look into a new wiring harness? Maybe give "Painless wiring" a call? etc... I dont know... just suggestions... Course if you do put a new harness in it and it still doesn't run right, i could see you getting a little pissed. In that case, don't do what i said. i don't know anything...
lol, good luck:; :beer:

You said Tom Tellford couldnt get the scanner to work, I would guess the reason behind this was he didnt know the VIN of the rig the motor came from, this is a important piece of information, I spent most of an afternoon trying differnt options on my brick scanner to gain acess to the computer. Mine finaly came down to it was from a 94 stick shift Astro van, that took awhile to figure out, who would have thought they even made stick Astro vans.
:mad:

Not trying to make you mad here, but you kinda seem to be that type of guy that makes my life rough at the shop. Changing this, and that, throwing parts at a problem you dont understand, while usualy adding who knows how many new problems before you give up and finaly send it to a shop where you probably would have spent like $60 for an hour of diagnostic, and at least be headed in the right direction.

Sounds like you should ask around & find a desent shop in your area, oh and imo do not try a new wireing harness or put a cummy carb on it my .02

Good luck.:beer:

wazz said:
You said Tom Tellford couldnt get the scanner to work, I would guess the reason behind this was he didnt know the VIN of the rig the motor came from, this is a important piece of information, I spent most of an afternoon trying differnt options on my brick scanner to gain acess to the computer. Mine finaly came down to it was from a 94 stick shift Astro van, that took awhile to figure out, who would have thought they even made stick Astro vans.
:mad:

Not trying to make you mad here, but you kinda seem to be that type of guy that makes my life rough at the shop. Changing this, and that, throwing parts at a problem you dont understand, while usualy adding who knows how many new problems before you give up and finaly send it to a shop where you probably would have spent like $60 for an hour of diagnostic, and at least be headed in the right direction.

Sounds like you should ask around & find a desent shop in your area, oh and imo do not try a new wireing harness or put a cummy carb on it my .02

Good luck.:beer:

Tom said there was no signal from the port.
Anyway I don't beleive I have hurt anything by changing sensors with new ones or by testing the conductivity of a ground. I have not chopped a single wire. But your right it is now over my head and needs to go to a shop. I heard the shop Mike Porter works at Frontier Auto is good and they qouted me 2 hours to find the problem so I beleive this POS is going on a trailer over there in the very near future. My little brother is going to look at it tonight he is a mechanic but not a pro with Chev TBI. After that Frontier here I come. Wazz thanks for your help I do apprecitae it.

Your welcome, and I hope they do you a good job on that.

Just an idea but you might save some labor if you print out that stuff and have it with the rig for them so they dont have to look it up.

Figuring out the ALDL wiring might be a pain in the rear ifn they are using Alldata for a referance ((I couldent figure it out)). Mitchelle On Demand should show a much better idea of where the wires go from the ALDL cause they follow thru with most of there wireing harness schematics, if that makes any since.:haha:

Oh yeah and dont forget to let us know what they found!!

Last edited:
Yeah I already printed that stuff out and I have a rough schmatic from when the Jeep was originaly wired. I am fairly sure that they will find it's a pinched wire or something like that. But I sure will let ya all know. I gotta wait till after Labor day to take it there I am to broke..lol

Nuzzy,
Lamar and I still keep in contact a lot. Infact he was here on this site yesterday. I am a L.F.L. member now ..lol. No more coiled crap for me.