• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 tbi problems

03RUBICON said:
Nuzzy,
Lamar and I still keep in contact a lot. Infact he was here on this site yesterday. I am a L.F.L. member now ..lol. No more coiled crap for me.

Those were the good ol' days of JA before everyone got pissy. Glad to hear you're still in contact with Lamar. That man has always cracked me up and I respect the hell out of him. :cool:

Very cool that you got that flatty :super: I'll have to see it in action :beer:

Well little update. My brother beleives this problem is a combination of two problems. He beleive the injectors are boogered up and he beleive fuel is getting past the diaphram in the TBI unit. so I am having the injectors cleaned and rebuilding the TBI. Even if it does not fix the problem it will be good matinence.

Dear group;
Never fear, I R here! Yeah, the shizzle on JA was getting to be too much for one person to deal with so I dropped that place like a bad habit and split for parts unknown for a while. I needed to get my act together and now here I am! And now, down to bizness! Jason, why are beating your head against the wall with this problem? Spend a leisurely afternoon unbolting all of the puter controlled crap and chuck it as far from you as you can! Stick a nice 4 bbl intake manifold on it and slap a 4bbl Holley Avenger on top and drive around happy! By the time you add up how much you've already blown just replacing all of the stuff that could be the source of the problem, you could have bought a complete Avenger setup, including electric fuel pump, etc. Think my friend, THINK!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Yeah and one little stumble from that carb at Rimrock and it's good night. No thanks ;).

03RUBICON said:
Yeah and one little stumble from that carb at Rimrock and it's good night. No thanks ;).

Run a Motocraft 2100, and works quite well at Rimrock, Moab, and pretty much everywhere. Won't set any records for horsepower, but they run good!

But fix what you got, and you'll be happier in the long run.

T

Dear 03rubicon;
You actually aren't THROWING AWAY anything, except for a very complicated, marginally improved (at best) much more expensive fuel metering system. If it makes you feel better consider the swap from FI to carb as an upgrade.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Ah I consider the switch from a coil rig to a leaf rig an upgrade, but just not going to convice me on the FI dealio.

Dear 03RUBICON;
I want you to close your eyes and think back to the days of yesteryear. Remember when you had a problem with your rig, instead of grabbing a multi-meter and computer reader thingy whatever gizmo, you grabbed some wrenches and just dove straight into it? Remember the feeling of supreme confidence that you were feeling at that moment because you KNEW in your heart that no matter what was wrong, you'd be able to find the trouble within a few minutes and have everything right in no time at all? Remember the time when you actually felt like a real MAN, instead of nerdy little lab coated technican? You CAN return to those days my friend. Just follow Lamars' sage advice and GET RID OF THAT STOOPID FRICKIN' TBI!!! Those things are E-V-I-L!!! If you refuse to believe ME, then believe your wallet! How much have you spent throwing parts at it? Lemme tell you something right now, those things absolutely LOVE new parts! The reason why those sinister evil engineers designed the FI systems in the first place was to suck your bank account dry, just like a huge unseen vacuum cleaner. That first sputter from your engine was actually the sound of the switch being flipped on the shop vac, my friend. Go carbs and keep going forever!
Your foaming at the mouth friend;
LAMAR

Lamar,
Sometimes your logic is so logical. But yet I can not conform to the carb lovers ways.
BTW I have spent 16 U.S. dollars on trying to fix this problem thus far. ;)

Dear 03RUBICON;
You stated that you've spent $16.00 trying to repair it (so far). This is my point EXACTLY!!! You know exactly how much you've spent on it right down to the penny! Us carb lovers never waste a single moment's thought on how muh a rebuild kit will cost for an MC2100 because they are sooooo inexpensive! You see, my friend, you DID hear the vacuum cleaner switch go to ON position and now you realize what is going to happen next and you are desperately hanging onto your cash with both hands like a man clinging to a tree branch dangling over the edge of the cliff. It's no use, my soon to be broker than the 10 Commandments friend (I thought you'd appreciate a quote from your dear friend, ScrambledBrains). You may as well get used to the idea of eating beans for several months after you finally track down the problem. If you need a few bucks, or a carton of smokes, just yell in my direction and I'll be glad to help you. I have PLENTY of cash lying around because I, unlike some people, have carbureted rigs and I do not need to throw huge fistfuls of cash at them to keep them functioning properly.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Hahaha, if my brothers fix works I will be into it less than 50 bucks all together. Lets not forget this FI system has worked flawlessly for 15 years untill now. Thats impressive and would more than likley still be working perfectly today if Kevin had not gotten his hands on it..(sorry Kev) ..lol

IM going past 7 years with mine with 0 problems on the TBI system :cheer: but mine only had 26K miles on it when I put it in.

If your looking for extra HP then yes carbs are better.
Lamar its my experiance if your out to pick on the GM TBI reliability, well you might wanna pick a different EFI system cause these ones hold up pretty good. :cool:

wazz said:
IM going past 7 years with mine with 0 problems on the TBI system :cheer: but mine only had 26K miles on it when I put it in.

If your looking for extra HP then yes carbs are better.
Lamar its my experiance if your out to pick on the GM TBI reliability, well you might wanna pick a different EFI system cause these ones hold up pretty good. :cool:

Funny thing with the tbi systems---I have more work fixing broken carbs than TBI units.. Now granted the weak link on that system is the elecrtical fuel pump but you can have the same issue running a carb and an electrical fuel pump..

Dear group;
OK, we are discussing reliability of the GMC TBI system and this topic is already in it's 6th page and it still doesn't work yet! How reliable is this??? Now, since we've touched upon the issue of reliability, let's discuss it for just a bit, shall we? Let's say that I am having problems with my MC2100 after 20 flawless, blissful years of trouble-free driving. What do I need to do? Do I need to check the pressure at the injectors, spray patterns, start troubleshooting this, that and every other thing? Or, do I have to start replacing senders and sensors by the fistfuls? Noooooooooooooooooo, I don't need to do ANY of that with an MC2100, my friends! All I stop into ANY atuo parts store and grab a re-build kit, a new fuel filter and an air filter. Then I spend an hour rebuilding the carb, setting the float, then tuning it, after which I drive happily along, trouble-free for ANOTHER 20 years! Again, just exactly HOW reliable are FIs????
Your friend;
LAMAR

Lamar said:
Dear group;
OK, we are discussing reliability of the GMC TBI system and this topic is already in it's 6th page and it still doesn't work yet! How reliable is this??? Now, since we've touched upon the issue of reliability, let's discuss it for just a bit, shall we? Let's say that I am having problems with my MC2100 after 20 flawless, blissful years of trouble-free driving. What do I need to do? Do I need to check the pressure at the injectors, spray patterns, start troubleshooting this, that and every other thing? Or, do I have to start replacing senders and sensors by the fistfuls? Noooooooooooooooooo, I don't need to do ANY of that with an MC2100, my friends! All I stop into ANY atuo parts store and grab a re-build kit, a new fuel filter and an air filter. Then I spend an hour rebuilding the carb, setting the float, then tuning it, after which I drive happily along, trouble-free for ANOTHER 20 years! Again, just exactly HOW reliable are FIs????
Your friend;
LAMAR

Carbs are :rb: :D

How well does your carb run at 70 degrees? And can it stay running for any length of time? How well does it run at 15 degrees f at 6000'
If your fuel pump craps out what do you do? What happens if you get a load of bad fuel and the needle and seat get gooped up? When your rig rolls over where does the fuel go thats inside the car4b? Does it sit there or spill out the top which creats a huge vapor ball waiting to ignite?

Dear Crash;
You have some valid points my friend. Or do you? OK, at any 70 degree attitude, be it nose up or down, side to side or any combo thereof, I'm no longer worried about my fuel delivery system, I am worrying about the engine oil and rolling the POS over! OK, let's chat about high altitude performance for a minute. I've taken my junk up to 15K in altitude and I did have to stop once at around 8500' and turn in the idle screws a bit because it was wanting to run lean, but that was it. It ran fine from then on. After again descending below 8500' I again leaned it out a bit and drove along hap-hap-happy. If my electric fuel pump craps out, then I just re-plumb the hoses back over the capped off mechanical pump, uncap the ports, hook up the hoses and drive away, hap-hap-happy. When, not if I get a load af bad fuel, I pull the fuel filter, re-install it bassackwards on the fuel line without installing it back into the carb, crank the engine for a bit to flush the filter, with a spill container under the filter, reverse the filter, re-install it and drive away hap-hap-happy. If the crappy fuel gets to the bowl, I remove the top cover, a take a rag to soak up the fuel in the bowl, remove the float, needle and seat, blow out the needle with air from my on-board OBA, re-install seat, needle and float, start motor, and check float setting, then re-install top cover and drive away, hap, hap, happy. In the event of a rollover, the unburned fuel inside of the bowl generaly leaks out into the papaer filter element where it stays until it evaporates. Now, you should ask me what does a person do in Bolivia if any one of the things that you mentions happens if that person is using a FIed rig.
Your friend;
LAMAR

With my tbi system--I don't have to touch anything :D

Yes you are right with oiling being an issue but I am talking about idle and typically you won't cause seveer bearing fatigue just at idle but yet-can a carb idle(looking beyond the engine itself):D

If my pump craps out--I carry a spare(just as you do who is carbed) :D

Odd you must have a very LARGE paper element style filter because I have never seen that to the point I had one rig go up in flames due to the carb. Another issue you have to remember about a carb and a mechanical pump-there is no safety check valve in any mechanical pump (just one to keep fuel from going back down into the pump)so if you should go over you run a VERY high rick of fuel just contantly pouring past the pump--past the needle a seat and out the top of the carb.

:; :;

Dear Crash;
We live in completely different environments my friend. I live in a country that has about the same land mass as Texas and California combined, with a total poulation of about 8.8 million people, 15,00 miles of roads, of which about 1,500 miles are paved. There are some VERY desolate spots in this country! If you drive long distances, then 25 gallons of spare fuel is a must. FIs are plagued with problems here because of crappy fuel and the only REAL cost effective solution is rip all of that mess out right by the sorry fawkin' roots and install a CARBURETOR! I've even installed carbs on 2.5L Jeeps and believe it not, those danged things run GREAT! I've stuck lots of Solex 32/32 carbs on them and after every one I'd swear they felt like I6 motors afterwards. Parts for FI systems are extremely rare and very costly. Also, natural gas systems here are hugely popular as well, due to the very low install costs (575$ for a 20m2 system) low maintenance costs and cheap fuel costs. Plus, you can run dual fuel with them too.
Your friend;
LAMAR