• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 tbi problems

zig80toy said:
Dear Lamar;

To the carburetor ignorant (me), what can i/we do to my little weber/any carb to get it to run better at the harsh angles (toyota 20r)? I hear messing with the floats help. What else?? I feel kinda wierd about cracking the thing open myself and messing with stuff. I fear it will perform worse than it does now. It runs great going down hill, its just going up hill the thing runs like crap. Sorry for the thread highjack but all this talk about carbs...

Weber and 20/22r is a crappy combo. I tried the 32/36-38mm-40mm with c-series offy intake and never got them to work right off the road. The float design is just plain crappy..

crash said:
Weber and 20/22r is a crappy combo. I tried the 32/36-38mm-40mm with c-series offy intake and never got them to work right off the road. The float design is just plain crappy..

Damn it!!!:hang:

One big thing that seems to help most offroad carbs is to run the bowl vent to the outside the air filter housing, then when it dose spill over the excess of fuel will not be dumping down the intake.

wazz said:
One big thing that seems to help most offroad carbs is to run the bowl vent to the outside the air filter housing, then when it dose spill over the excess of fuel will not be dumping down the intake.

Thats the big issue with the webbers--the vent is just plain and crappy. I tried modding a 38mm with drilling/epoxing a better vent design but that still didn't work good enough...

crash said:
Carbs are :rb: :D

How well does your carb run at 70 degrees? And can it stay running for any length of time? How well does it run at 15 degrees f at 6000'
If your fuel pump craps out what do you do? What happens if you get a load of bad fuel and the needle and seat get gooped up? When your rig rolls over where does the fuel go thats inside the car4b? Does it sit there or spill out the top which creats a huge vapor ball waiting to ignite?

My 2100 runs great at damn near vertical. It also runs in 20* (never tried 15*) at 10000'! Been there, done that, this year! It is significantly down in horsepower at that elevation, however. And I run a mechanical fuel pump so if it dies, I'll strap a jerry can to the roll bar and use gravity feed.

And I'm not worried about vapor ball ignition, because if I'm over that long, I'm more worried about hydro-siezing the block, so it'll be pull the plugs - plenty of time for fuel vapors to go bye-bye.

Now that that's said,

I'd trade my Motorcraft for Comet's yet to be ran EFI in 2 blinks of an eye.

T

Dear treeclimber;
I hear ya, but a lot of folks don't. I've been over 15K feet with my MC2100 and nary a problem with it. And let me clue in on something. At those altitudes, you are going to get crappy mileage no matter WHAT you have under the hood. Natural gas or propane is about the best setup for extreme altitudes but even with that you are going to suffer from a noticeable lack of power and economy. A supercharger assists things very well but the gas mileage sinks REALLY quick! Turbochargers aren't much help at extreme altitudes either. At extreme altitudes it doesn't matter what you have for a fuel delivery system, with thin oxygen the engine will run poorly.
Your friend;
LAMAR

So in theroy a supercharged FI engine would run best? Thats good cause that what rhe Rubi is running. BTW the S.C. increased my fuel milage by 2mpg ;).

Dear 03Rubicon;
Yes, my friend, a single stage supercharger will propel you to over 22K feet. After that you are going to need a compound supercharger. And it makes no difference what fuel delivery system you use, as long as you are able to pump enough oxygen into the cylinders, the engine will continue to run.
Your friend;
LAMAR