• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4 Ruggy Buggy

TB-F

Alright anyone who's been waiting for this buildup thread, my much anticipated (to me:D ) 4 ruggy buggy is sorta kina underway. I still have some (ok, a lot) of parts to source/scrounge but I'm close to actualy start making it look like something. First off it's a "4 ruggy buggy" because I dont know if it quite clasifies as a truggy because I'm not using any stock frame, but I'm not calling it a full buggy because I am using a couple lil' pieces of a 89 4 runner. The basic build Idea is this. Square tube frame with much tube going all over in a asteticly pleasing and structural fasion. 4.3vortec, 465 trans, STaK4x4 2 speed case, f/r d60's, fox 2.0 coilovers all around because I broke 12 leafsprings last year. And the only reason I can come up with for buying another rig to start with instead of just building everything myself is I wanted a title:D

So here we go!

what I have so far

Here's the poor victim that will be coming apart:clappy:
100_0092.jpg

And here's 3/4 of a new frame I built quite a while ago
100_0236.jpg

Along with a lovely bundle of 1 1/2 .120 DOM (wall thickness mike'd out at .130)
100_0232.jpg

And a 99 4.3L
100_0234.jpg

SM465 4 spd trans
100_0233.jpg

I ordred the STaK t case but I wont see it for another 4-5 weeks and that's when I will realy get in to this thing. There's also a d60 rear floating around here someplace:rolleyes:

I also bought myself a new tube bender to expediate the bending process:clappy: My old one worked great, but it was kina slow

100_0231.jpg

Why go with a 465? Maybe you are used to a standard transmission, but have you ever considered a manual valvebody auto? Also, why Fox? Do you already own a set? They are very prone to leaking, and a not the easiest to work on. Not knocking your parts choice, just wondering if you have looked into other options.

I just cant bring myself to go to a auto. It's realy just personal preferance. With the grany low in the trans and 5.44:1 gears in the stak box and axle gearing of either 5.38 or 6.17 it puts me at roughly 220:1 wich is plenty creepy for me. I havnt ordred the shocks yet and have not made the final decison on what to go with, kina up in the air still.

Have you looked into the Rancho RS9000X Pro-Series Remote Reservoir coil-over?

I don't have any experience with them but I have seen good reviews for them. Just trying to help.

The frame is looking good. I am also going to go with the SM465(because of the granny low and short, stout case) once I start my build.

Last edited:
Toyotanut said:
wow, you are actually going to start on this...Gonna have it done for Memorial Weekend?

Not planning on it:booo: wich is too bad because I always debue new rigs memorial day and this one would be a blast then. Instead I shall wheel a loner memorial day weekend (John's old truck now Jasons truck) after doing a few lil things to it.