• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 and 6.2 mpg

toreadorranger said:
I used to own the same truck but Chevy and got around 15-16mpg ave, but that was very little highway. Tons of get up and go with the 6.2. I regret selling it.

My drive is like a gas mileage dream....lol. I'm also keep a pretty close eye on the mpgs. The truck is really fun and if your enjoying it 15-16 is right in the ballpark. I know I wouldn't ever want another 5.3 compared to the 6.2

I'll ask my old man today about his mileage. He's got a 6.2l ccsb 4wd 1500, and just drove to & from Kansas. And he drives like he's got an egg under the pedal, and a bed full of nitroglycerin. If anyone can beat his mileage, I'd have to call them either a liar or more of a threat to traffic than my dad.

Re: 6.0 and 6.2 mpg

I figure my crawler and trailer combined were around 7500 lbs, that was the regular load for it. However, I went to pick up a load of lumber and quickrete for a buddy's new back deck him and his dad were building, and it was significantly heavier than my rig. Did not expect that. By how much? Idk...maybe pushing 10k lbs total? Handled it fine and plenty power on normal roads, but we have a steep long straight road up a mountain here that I travel pretty much every day....it did not like pulling that mtn with this load. There will probably be others who hauled much heavier ****, just chiming in with my experience. I never pushed the limits of the truck at all other than towing loads up the mtn. Kinda miss it....but I don't miss the fuel mileage since I no longer have to haul anything heavy.

826c97500e84233a751560953698b5e0.jpg

Re: Re: 6.0 and 6.2 mpg

gottagofast said:
I pulled a 2 cars on 40'er with a 5.7... Did fine and a 6.0 could only be better...
Dad's told me stories of things he's pulled with old 5.7 trucks before which is probably part of the reason I've never been too worried about having to have a big bad diesel that won't lose speed going up a grade. It's just part of towing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

xjkrawler said:
Anybody ever tow a goose with a 6.0?
Goose what. Mine's a 30' open drop deck, with my buggy and rzr it does great. 01 6.0. 200K on it. **** mileage. Pretty well never goes down to 2nd gear. My 03 6.0 did all the time, I hated it. Third 6.0 truck I've towed with and somehow its the best of them

blacksheep10 said:
Goose what. Mine's a 30' open drop deck, with my buggy and rzr it does great. 01 6.0. 200K on it. **** mileage. Pretty well never goes down to 2nd gear. My 03 6.0 did all the time, I hated it. Third 6.0 truck I've towed with and somehow its the best of them

Hah gooseneck. Good to several have towed decent sized loads. I've got a 99 2500 with the iron block and head early 6.0 with 4.10s and would like to be able to tow my jeep and a side by side on a 30' gooseneck. I've debated swapping my SF14 bolt out for a ff version but not sure if it's worth it.

I had a 94 chev 2500 w a 5.7 and an r4 with a SF 14 bolt and I pulled a 38' fifth wheel and a jeep on a towbar behind it about 10,000 miles over a 2 year span... Spent most of those miles at or near WOT... Munched a tranny once but never had any issues with the SF...

I'd say don't worry about swapping the axle, just make sure it stays full of good clean oil.

xjkrawler said:
Hah gooseneck. Good to several have towed decent sized loads. I've got a 99 2500 with the iron block and head early 6.0 with 4.10s and would like to be able to tow my jeep and a side by side on a 30' gooseneck. I've debated swapping my SF14 bolt out for a ff version but not sure if it's worth it.
I knew gooseneck, I was aking if you meant a 25' drop open, or a gooseneck big ass camper or redneck hauler that catches wind like a barn door down the highway.

If your looking for a 1/2 ton with fuel mileage, look at the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel....I got one and it gets 28-30 mpg unloaded on highway and with 18ft car hauler and 1 ton jeep it will get the same mileage as a 3rd Gen 5.9 Cummins, which is up in the high teens. they are great riding and driving trucks.

Those are pretty good numbers IMO compared to the 5.3 in my Tahoe, pulling a 8.5x20 with one RZR 1000,extra parts over night bags and 4 persons I average 9mpg I can hit Monteagle or something close to it and she drops to 4-6 :****: (This is running speed limits too,not flying)

All I know is my current ext cab 2005 half ton 5.3 L33 truck will knock out 350 miles per tank and my old 2006 ccsb 6.0 truck would do goo to get 220 a tank. So that **** is fawking awesome, but I am not towing heavy now. Just glad to be rescued from the 10mpg. lol