• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 water pump question

crawler nut

Got the 6.0 fired up an running well. It is running very warm. Cut it off at 240. Hoses from radiator are cool water pump is cool.
Thought it could be a bad T-sat, an put in a new one today an same thing. The lower hose never even gets warm.
It takes a while to get hot. But it will not cool off. I have to shut it off. There isnt any circulation. Is there any way I could have the belt rotating in the wrong direction? The back of the belt is running the pully.
Any body have any ideas?
Never had the water pump off, it is factory.

what is your radiator setup? Is it in the back of the rig?

It sounds like you are getting an air pocket in the cooling system cavitating the pump.

Do you have the steam port plugged or plumbed into the cooling system like it should be? if its capped this is likely the source of the air pocket...

zjtrey said:
what is your radiator setup? Is it in the back of the rig?

It sounds like you are getting an air pocket in the cooling system cavitating the pump.

Do you have the steam port plugged or plumbed into the cooling system like it should be? if its capped this is likely the source of the air pocket...

My radiator is in the front. It is an aluminum cross flow. Dont mean to be dumb, this is my first LS engine, but you mention the steam port? Not sure what this is. Any help is greatly appreaciated. Thanks
I did pull the T-stat out an ran it for a while. It would never get over 150deg. The water is flowing good through the radiator. I havent put the T-stat back in yet.

theres a small hose that comes out near the front of the heads and goes into the to the throttle body then back into the other head (i think thats how its routed anyway its been a while) but you need to plumb that into your upper radiator hose, it keeps air pockets from occurring.. tons of info on it if you search pirate theres alot of different ways to do it to but you will have cooling problems until you do this...

If the motor was drained and you just re-filled the radiator, you need to pull the hose on the top of the pump and manually fill the motor as well. At least on my 6.0, the pump will not pull from the radiator without putting fluid in the motor first. Never had to do this on older engines, but every time I drain the coolant on my 6.0.

Guys I really appreciate all the info. I will try all that is mentioned above an see what happens. Thanks again have a great Labor Day weekend.

Beyer said:
If the motor was drained and you just re-filled the radiator, you need to pull the hose on the top of the pump and manually fill the motor as well. At least on my 6.0, the pump will not pull from the radiator without putting fluid in the motor first. Never had to do this on older engines, but every time I drain the coolant on my 6.0.

This done the trick. Done what you said, opened up about 200 started circulating an cooled back down. All hoses warm like there supposed to be. Thanks again you guys a great. thumb.gif