• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

700r4 problem

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
:mad::mad: Well, I'm hoping I didn't completely fry my trans tonight, but I'll see what you guys think.

Took off out of here tonight towing my 14' trailer empty, and headed up the hill a block from my house. Got about halfway up the hill, where I usually take the s turn in the middle in 3rd, then kick it into second for the second half of the hill. Kicked into second great, hauling ass up the hill and notice the egts getting up there, so I let off the throttle a little and rode second the rest of the way up. No biggy cause there was a line of cars going slow up the hill anyways. I get up the hill and up to a slow 15 mph corner, I start to accelerate out of the corner, and it kicks down into second (where it should be) then into first for a second, and back to second. :rolleyes: I knew something was wrong at that point, and when I got up to the next stop sign, it reared it's ugly head. Pulling away from the stop it wouldn't shift out of 1st. Once it wound out a bit I dropped off the throttle and it shifted to second. Stopped in at the nearest parts store right around the corner, and sure enough, 1 quart low. :eeek:
Seems one of my tranny lines is leaking at the trans. I threw a quart in it, pulled away, and once I got out to meridian again and was able to get it going, it wouldn't even shift out of first like it would before. Pulled into the old Billy Bobs parking lot and discovered reverse was gone too. :mad: So I was able to swing it around and get my buddy Ty to come get the trailer so I could baby the burb back to the house in first without worrying about a trailer in south hill traffic.
On the way back, I could get it to hit second consistently by overrevving and dropping off the pedal. And going back down the hill it must have hit 3rd cause I had it in D and there was no engine braking like it usually would in 2nd. Got back to my driveway and still no reverse.

Now for the back story, I got the burb awhile back, and the trans was making noise and slipping, so I bought a donor 89 burb 700r4(gas), bought a new HD diesel torque converter and swapped in my old diesel governor.

So basically the question to you all is, do you think it's transmission, or component (valve body, governor maybe?)

Fluid is still looking good other than being that quart low, and I have the stock cooler as well as an 8x24 plate cooler in front of the radiator.

The biggest problem is that it is a 700R4

Second biggest problem is towing with a 700R4

Sounds like it is ****ed. Swap it out for a 4spd or a TH400 and call it good.

There was a problem with some of the 700r4's in the early years. The problem was how the manual 1-2(I believe) valve was made. It was cut with a sharp end edge. After some years of use it would finally beat itself into the end of the bore in the valve body and hang up. once this happenes the governor/throttle pressure would have to get quite high to overcome the stuck valve--and typicly you would get a very hard 1-2 shift. But from what you are describing it sounds a lil more seveer of an issue. But that was a very common issue we used to see alot..

That makes sense as to why I can get it into second sometimes. I'd like to just swap a manual in, but the funds and the time just aren't there.

That makes sense as to why I can get it into second sometimes. I'd like to just swap a manual in, but the funds and the time just aren't there.

You can probably swap a 4spd / 205 in there cheaper than you can replace the 700R4 with a GOOD one.

The swap is easy, and can be done in a day. Most expensive part would be the correct length drivelines...

You can probably swap a 4spd / 205 in there cheaper than you can replace the 700R4 with a GOOD one.

The swap is easy, and can be done in a day. Most expensive part would be the correct length drivelines...

This trans was essentially free, I bought the donor rig for $400 took the trans and transfer case, and sold the rest for $700. :redneck:

I'm hoping I can find a similar deal with a manual. :awesomework: