• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

750hp ls2 n/a

1tonrenegade said:
Can't beat the torque of a Windsor! :****:

When GM engineers designed the "perfect" pushrod smallblock, they took a step back, looked at their design and realized they had just designed a Windsor with 6 bolt mains...

So they changed the design a bit, back to driver side head forward like the old sbc, and called it the "LS"

i.e. LS motor has more in common with a Windsor than a old SBC.

:****:

Same here Zach. I dumped mine into a homemade 2into1 exhaust to a 3" magnaflow round muffler then all the way out the back. Nice and quiet until you hammer it.

TBItoy said:
When GM engineers designed the "perfect" pushrod smallblock, they took a step back, looked at their design and realized they had just designed a Windsor with 6 bolt mains...

So they changed the design a bit, back to driver side head forward like the old sbc, and called it the "LS"

i.e. LS motor has more in common with a Windsor than a old SBC.

:****:

yep. ford always had a better flowing head design... and I'm a SHIVY man.

Re: Re: 750hp ls2 n/a

ldudley said:
yep. ford always had a better flowing head design... and I'm a SHIVY man.
Firing order and crank harmonics too, for more power and smoother running.

Had Ford just updated the Windsor with a modern EFI system and ignition instead of building those dumb OHC mod motors, we'd all be discussing and swapping in Ford motors lol.

So it looks to get a true 700+ n/a hp, everything is aftermarket anyway, so I'd imagine the price difference would be negligible.

Making power in the 700 range isn't impossible but drivability really goes downhill fast. I agree that shiny exhaust helps get to that mystical power mark we can all brag to our buddies about but the real secret is in a little tub of Mother's polish. When applied regularly and to the right blower the results are amazing!

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

TBItoy said:
Firing order and crank harmonics too, for more power and smoother running.

Had Ford just updated the Windsor with a modern EFI system and ignition instead of building those dumb OHC mod motors, we'd all be discussing and swapping in Ford motors lol.

So it looks to get a true 700+ n/a hp, everything is aftermarket anyway, so I'd imagine the price difference would be negligible.

The ohc mod motors have their place! 32v blown 4.6 is a bad little motor pleanty of mustangs making 900-1000hp to the back tires! Not sure how the torque numbers run but gotta be decent! Their size is what makes them hard to build around!

crawlin85cj said:
Making power in the 700 range isn't impossible but drivability really goes downhill fast. I agree that shiny exhaust helps get to that mystical power mark we can all brag to our buddies about but the real secret is in a little tub of Mother's polish. When applied regularly and to the right blower the results are amazing!

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
Next one is in the oven!

So when does the drivability start to go down hill? Just wondering where that point of no return is.

I got some friends who race old fox bodies and turbos is where its at, they claim a stock bottom end ls with heads and a turbo is one nasty sumbitch and they are ford guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: 750hp ls2 n/a

al1tonyota said:
The ohc mod motors have their place! 32v blown 4.6 is a bad little motor pleanty of mustangs making 900-1000hp to the back tires! Not sure how the torque numbers run but gotta be decent! Their size is what makes them hard to build around!
But the money it takes to accomplish that is incredible. The 4.6 2v in my mustang is rock solid reliable but the only real HP maker is the $500 nitrous kit. The only reason I put headers on the thing is to lose some weight off the nose. It makes exactly 11 wheel horsepower over stock.

Elliott said:
Obviously none of Yall have ever watched a stock mustang and camaro race.
I have....most people end up wonder if the mustang was a V6.

Now...the newer 5.0s are pretty sweet. They're finally making some HP. Still.... lots of rotating **** still under the hood when a regular single cam in the middle of the block Chevy motor is still getting it done.

1tfrot said:
So when does the drivability start to go down hill? Just wondering where that point of no return is.

When an engine needs an intake with such massive plenum volume to make top end power that the air velocity slows enough at low RPM to cause the engine to run like ****.

My Z28 is a prime example. LS7 with a FAST LSXr 102 intake and 102mm throttle body. It makes great power, pulls hard as hell and idles choppy but stable. I can't drive it down the highway at 2000rpm or it will buck and run like **** until I down shift to 5th and let it spin up above 2300rpm. It makes right on top of 700 flywheel HP.

My first U4 car had a 403" LS2 in it that made right at 600hp to the crank. It was legit. It sounded ridiculous and ran great. It was at the very far edge of what I considered good drivability in the woods but it was a great race engine. I rarely got it out to go trail riding because if that.

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
Next one is in the oven!

tonybolton said:
But the money it takes to accomplish that is incredible. The 4.6 2v in my mustang is rock solid reliable but the only real HP maker is the $500 nitrous kit. The only reason I put headers on the thing is to lose some weight off the nose. It makes exactly 11 wheel horsepower over stock.
Wait a minute? How much money do you think it would cost to build any of these motors that make 6-700hp n/a? I know several of the big guys have 30-40k in sb big inch motors n/a! The guy here in town that tuned raced stangs to make 900-1000 rwhp was from what he told me heads cams injectors and a Kenny bell 3 litter mammoth blower? Sold complete engine out of the last one he was running for 25k rtr

I think you would be crazy to spend all the $$ to make big N/A HP numbers, take basically a stock LS engine turbo or blower and there you are at the 700 hp mark easy!

tonybolton said:
I have....most people end up wonder if the mustang was a V6.

Now...the newer 5.0s are pretty sweet. They're finally making some HP. Still.... lots of rotating **** still under the hood when a regular single cam in the middle of the block Chevy motor is still getting it done.
I have a coyote 5.0, on air intake, long tube hedders with 1 set of cats in a complete stainless works exhaust, all stock internal motor with a tune that see 410 rwhp (6 speed).

zukimaster said:
I think you would be crazy to spend all the $$ the make big N/A HP numbers, take basically a stock LS engine turbo or blower and there you are at the 700 hp mark easy!
. Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the same shop that built my vette. Pretty awesome putting down 821rwhp on stock long block minus cam!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-03-08-01-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-03-08-01-47.png
    1 MB · Views: 115
Re:

tonybolton said:
I thought we were talking about NA horsepower?
We were also discussing 750 hp! Seems all the information available was already said about that? I was just adding to the comment about the modular motor comment!

Re:

I've often wondered why more people don't run blowers on LS style motors in buggies.

When the Hummer H2 were real popular it seemed that every one you seen had a blower added